having a delemma, my fish won't eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bvj33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank, and the fish I have left(long story) will not eat, the tank was medicated with coopersafe, and then maracyn for secondary infections. I lost 5 fish, but these guys seem better but are not eating any of their fav foods, my mollies r eating, but not my dwarf gurrami or my 2 australian rainbow fish. the water test come back pretty normal accept the kh is high 180. The test kit reccomemded partial change and I did do that but no change. Its going on a week since these three fish have not eaten anything. Do I medicate again?Please help:confused:

Are the fish still sick? Are you still medicating? Any indication of illness in the fish?

I have gone 5 days without even feeding my fish before. I was on vacation. They were fine when I got home, just a little hungry. Fish don't need to eat 3 times a day like humans do. I would start worrying in a couple of days.

Be sure not to overfeed your fish while they aren't eating. Continuing to supply them with more food than they want will only cause additional problems including an ammonia spike and a loss in water quality.

Its important to know what was wrong with your fish (the long story) and when the last medication was added. When your last water change was, and how much.

The fish show no signs of sickness, I was treating for velvet disease, the fish were really flashy and rubbing. Now they just seem nervous thats it.The last medicating of marycyn was over a week ago, when medicating with the marycyn they were eating, soon as the meds were done they stopped eating. I am stumped. the only bad water test was the kh everything else was normal.

If the fish aren't flashing anymore, aren't showing signs of illness (breathing hard, white spots, etc.) I would do another massive water change to try and get those medications out of the water column. Be sure to replace any charcoal in your filter too.

I don't think KH would be the cause of concern regarding fish not eating.

Be sure to add prime or other similar water conditioner when conducting a water change and then let your fish settle for awhile. Turn off the lights and let them rest. In a day or two, try and feed them again.

Thanks

I've been sooo worried, I am going to do exactly that, thank you.
P.S. I have a water softner system do you think that causes problems??

Your water is probably very hard which explains the high KH reading. Other than causing algea though, I don't think that this would cause the fish not to eat. Take some samples of your water right out of the tap and perform water tests the same as you do on the tank. Let some water sit out (but not in aquarium) and run the tests again after 24 hours to evaluate the condition of your tap water.

How long has your tank been set up?

My tanks been set up for two months, I lost 5 tiger barbs to the velvet disease. I was intoducing the fish slowly and now once the tank gets back to normal, I want to restock my tiger barbs they were so entertaining!
P.s. I have done the water test before adding to the tank, same thin kh is high everything else is fine.

Thanks Everyone!

My fish are now eating again, I used an apettite stimulant and the first time I fed them this food they ate, now they seem back to normal.
Garlic huh?! I've never heard of that, I will keep that in mind.

Well, dont just throw cloves in there lol. Companies like Kent and Seachem sell garlic supplements. But I think you go out and buy something else, check the parameters of the tank and make sure theyre not stressed out.

Back
Top Bottom