Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with Fresh2o about the three stages; however since they list ammonia specifically on the box, just check to see if there is an ammonia-removing substance in there (ammo-carb, etc). It usually looks like whitish granules/gravel in a bag. The foam filter should be left in there! There is nothing wrong with the filter for long-term use other than this possible extra layer to remove while fishless cycling.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If I can make a suggestion. Dr. Tim makes a product called "one and only" it is a live bacteria chemical that you add to the water. It eliminates the need for all the other cycling people go through. It also removes hard metals from the water. It's cheep and the best part is. You CAN'T overdo it. May want to check it out.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is no bb in a bottle. Its mainly for those gullible enough to buy it. Carbon removes ammonia as well. What you should do is buy a sponge used in another filter and just use that. Buy some other biological media and place some in there behind the sponge and your set. The cycle can begin. Check params daily for best results and after your spike keep an eye ad your getting close to the end.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistGardener View Post
I just did an online search of your filter. The three-stage filter includes removal of ammonia. You need to remove the ammonia filter in order to do fishless cycling.
If this is the box it came in, it contains an ammonia remover (see image).
Just about every filter has that on the box, however they are referring to the bacteria growing on the media eliminating ammonia and nitrite. Not actually media that will remove ammonia right out of the box.

As for carbon, it is not a big ammonia absorbing medium to my knowledge. It does help, however, remove discoloration, odors, and pollutants such as soap. It may help to a degree however I do not believe it can absorb enough to make a huge difference.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSloth93 View Post
If I can make a suggestion. Dr. Tim makes a product called "one and only" it is a live bacteria chemical that you add to the water. It eliminates the need for all the other cycling people go through. It also removes hard metals from the water. It's cheep and the best part is. You CAN'T overdo it. May want to check it out.
The bb in a bottle does not skip the cycle, it just speeds it up. All tanks have to cycle.

Experiences with such products vary from person to person - I used it out of desperation for my 29g and it was very helpful. BB in a bottle DOES exist, your mileage may vary, but still, not much can beat seeded media
Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
There is no bb in a bottle. Its mainly for those gullible enough to buy it. Carbon removes ammonia as well. What you should do is buy a sponge used in another filter and just use that. Buy some other biological media and place some in there behind the sponge and your set. The cycle can begin. Check params daily for best results and after your spike keep an eye ad your getting close to the end.
I think you should look into it. I worked in a pet store for 3 years. I've used it on all my tanks. We use it on all the tanks there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com