Having a hard time...!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxNoobxX

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well hello everyone.. So I started a 20 gal tank yesterday so well im doing the fishless cycling process... I added ammonia yesterday night and today.... So I tested the water today... But I don't see the ammonia spike yet.. Am I doing something wrong.?? Do I need to add more ammonia.??

Well hello everyone.. So I started a 20 gal tank yesterday so well im doing the fishless cycling process... I added ammonia yesterday night and today.... So I tested the water today... But I don't see the ammonia spike yet.. Am I doing something wrong.?? Do I need to add more ammonia.??

You added ammo? How much did you add?

are you doing fishless cylcing with a healthy media or not? i remember you from other posts and don't remember if you already have a good tank running or whether you are just new to the hobby

Well it's hard to tell... Because the hard thing about this is that you never know how much you should add... I added like a cap full.. I'm using ammonia that I bought from ace hardware stores

Well it's hard to tell... Because the hard thing about this is that you never know how much you should add... I added like a cap full.. I'm using ammonia that I bought from ace hardware stores

You should always know how much you should be adding.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

This link will help you calculate the exact amount, cycling is a scientific process at the end of the day. We're culturing bacterial growth in a controlled environment :)

As for the readings, I doubt an expired test kit, but maybe a mistake during testing? (Not doubting you, just the first logical step is human error!)

Try testing again and see what the results are?

are you doing fishless cylcing with a healthy media or not? i remember you from other posts and don't remember if you already have a good tank running or whether you are just new to the hobby

My tank is new.. And everything in there is also new... Gravel, filter, heater, ornaments, air pump.. Etc etc....

What type of media is in your filter? Any chance its purigen or some type of ammonia removing media?

Can you please try a simple test for us? Fill tube with some water from your tap. Add 3 drops of your bottled ammonia. Then test it. It should turn very dark blue green almost immediately. If it doesn't, then its the ammonia. Its possible the bottle was sitting on the shelf a very long time. As bottled ammonia sits, it begins to lose its potency.

What type of media is in your filter? Any chance its purigen or some type of ammonia removing media?

Can you please try a simple test for us? Fill tube with some water from your tap. Add 3 drops of your bottled ammonia. Then test it. It should turn very dark blue green almost immediately. If it doesn't, then its the ammonia. Its possible the bottle was sitting on the shelf a very long time. As bottled ammonia sits, it begins to lose its potency.

Description
Whisper Power Filter 20

Features
Designed for Use in Smaller Aquariums Up to 20-Gallon, Uses Large Whisper Bio-Bag Cartridges
Three filters in one for cleaner water and healthier fish

If you already have cycled tanks you could just put the new tanks filter stuff in one of your old filters for two weeks, put it in the new tank and add a small amount of whatever you plan to stock with. Then just slowly build up your stock list like normal.

So well I just tested my 2 tanks.. The first picture is from the tank that I'm having problems... The second picture is my other tank that is cycling successfully...

image-3150924078.jpg

image-2865194333.jpg

Attachments

• image-1398113981.jpg
    image-1398113981.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 44
I just did an online search of your filter. The three-stage filter includes removal of ammonia. You need to remove the ammonia filter in order to do fishless cycling.
If this is the box it came in, it contains an ammonia remover (see image).

Attachments

• tetra-whisper-power-filter-20--13267.jpg
    tetra-whisper-power-filter-20--13267.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 47
I just did an online search of your filter. The three-stage filter includes removal of ammonia. You need to remove the ammonia filter in order to do fishless cycling.
If this is the box it came in, it contains an ammonia remover (see image).

Ohh my god.... are you serious.??... Well I didn't get the filter with the box... Long story.!! So I didn't see that... So that's why.!!! Man... That's dissapointing.. well thank you... And yeah I think that's the same filter I have.... I mean I guess... It has to be that one.. So I'm gonna take it out... And I'm gonna use another one.. This time I'm gonna read the instructions and everything.. thank you so so so so so so so so so so so much.!!

Ohh my god.... are you serious.??... Well I didn't get the filter with the box... Long story.!! So I didn't see that... So that's why.!!! Man... That's dissapointing.. well thank you... And yeah I think that's the same filter I have.... I mean I guess... It has to be that one.. So I'm gonna take it out... And I'm gonna use another one.. This time I'm gonna read the instructions and everything.. thank you so so so so so so so so so so so much.!!

You should be able to use that filter in a fishless cycle. The three stage filtration implies mechanical, chemical, and biological. I believe the reference to "removing ammonia and nitrites" is the foam component of the filter which is what you want and not necessarily a direct ammonia remover such as ammo-carb and other similar products. Not sure if carbon removes ammonia; if it does then you can remove it from the bio bag.

Back
Top Bottom