Having issues with German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrippin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well a few days ago I managed to stumble across two beautiful longfin German Blue Rams. They were the only ones at my LFS that were not on hold(not a chain store).

One is definitely male but the other I assumed is female because it has all the physical characteristics of a female aside from a pink or purple belly. I'm concerned because they were fine together for the first few days they were in the tank, swimming together and whatnot. About two days ago the male became extremely aggressive towards her and began chasing and charging her every chance he gets. Normally it wouldn't concern me but it looks as if he is going out of his normal way to cause havoc.

I asked my LFS today what they would suggest, and long story short, I now have a smaller Golden Ram in the tank. So far the male German is still chasing the female but not as much now because of the other ram. I'm just concerned if there might be some other underlying issue and if I made a wise choice or not?

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my pair's does that. She has taken his abuse for like 6 months and is still alive. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do. One thing I do recommend is to not separate them if they have already spawned together.

Please note that a Golden Ram is just a color variation of the German Blue Ram. Now, you have three German Blue Rams. Now that may become your greater problem in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How will I know if they have spawned together or not? I've never kept Rams or any other variation of a cichlid before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spawning as in laying eggs and the male fertilizing them. Please look for videos on YouTube for a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, with three, if two happen to pair up, they could gang up on the odd-man-out and kill him or her. You're going to have to watch them very closely, and be prepared to take one out if things get hairy, and they probably will, sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom