hazy water please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikycamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Besides my salt water I have a 10gl fresh water aquarium with a big pleco'
4 neons and 1 buenos aires(1 other died 3 weeks ago),my problem is that the water since two weeks ago is hazy,I checked all the chemical and ph parameters and is fine,the temp is at 78,and the water has this cloud.
I even tried that water clear liquid last week and again this and last saturday I changed 3 gl of water and the problem is the same.
Can someone give me some advise?,besides the fish that died a week prior to that I had not experienced any other problems,the neons,plecos and buenos aires(cicclid)are fine eating normal and happy.
Thanks

First off, the pleco needs to be removed from the tank. You say it's a "big pleco", I'm assuming a common. They will cause havoc on your tank and need a much larger tank than a 10 gal. They will get huge and are big waste producers.

Stop using the water clearing chemical. 9 times out of 10 it will just cause your tank to become even more cloudy. I used that stuff SO much in my 10 gal before I started coming to this site and it never helped. Eventually I had to tare down the tank and start over. What are your exact water test results? Are you using strips or a Master Test Kit?

It could be a bacterial bloom, among other things. How long has the tank been set up? If it is a bacterial bloom, you may want to do the blackout method. Which basically you completly shut off the tank from any light source (including sunlight) and don't feed the fish or even peek inside for 5 days. I believe this is how you do it. I've never done it before but have read many members on this site talk about it. Maybe someone else could chime in on how they did it.

Also, you said that the Buenos Aires is a Cichlid, are you sure? I just checked www.liveaquaria.com and it lists it as a Tetra.

Back
Top Bottom