Headed to Petco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bud that is true but I do not ever come upon homeless, cold, hungry fish on the street. Hehe.

Buying a fish isn't really "rescuing" it......you are making a purchase. It is just financial encouragement for them, meaning they'll get more fish in the future......Honestly, if we all just stopped buying from there they would stop selling sick fish.

I fail to see how removing a fish from a hostile environment and placing it into a friendly environment is not rescuing. It seems to fit the very definition of rescuing in my opinion.

I fail to see how removing a fish from a hostile environment and placing it into a friendly environment is not rescuing. It seems to fit the very definition of rescuing in my opinion.

But are you truly rescuing, if by buying that fish, you make a terrible life for who knows how many others? People think "Oh, look at these poor fish.....let me rescue them...." when all that does is put money into the pocket of the people selling these sickly fish, encouraging them to sell more.

But are you truly rescuing, if by buying that fish, you make a terrible life for who knows how many others? People think "Oh, look at these poor fish.....let me rescue them...." when all that does is put money into the pocket of the people selling these sickly fish, encouraging them to sell more.

I agree with what you are saying, but the fact of the matter is that humans lack the ability to collectively do the right thing, in this case and in many others. Walmart sells aquarium equipment and fish at the lowest possible price. People will take that option out of ignorance and a need to satisfy their kids.

Also, I am a vegan, but my inaction does not save animals. It only delays their inevitable fate.

I agree with what you are saying, but the fact of the matter is that humans lack the ability to collectively do the right thing, in this case and in many others.

The problem is too many people think that; if everyone against the conditions of walmart tanks stopped buying, left and right stores would stop selling fish. But everyone thinks that "ONE little purchase won't make the difference" and then all those "one little" purchases from everybody adds up. Does one purchase make a difference? Probably not. But a whole bunch of people thinking that same thing will.

The problem is too many people think that; if everyone against the conditions of walmart tanks stopped buying, left and right stores would stop selling fish. But everyone thinks that "ONE little purchase won't make the difference" and then all those "one little" purchases from everybody adds up. Does one purchase make a difference? Probably not. But a whole bunch of people thinking that same thing will.

In Canada I haven't seen a Walmart that sells fish in over three years. I find it strange that they haven't stopped everywhere.

My take on this is that I KNOW that puffers that are in Walmarts tanks in a store with nobody with half a clue, are going to die within a week. I wait until they are almost gone and I ask to speak with a manager (I take daily notes) and show them that because of their policies for every $6 they make they lose over $150. I have gotten 3 Walmarts in my area to stop carrying puffers. To me that's a small win. Not to mention teaching others to be successful with making their impulse buy an amusing part of the family brings a smile to my face. Oh well, my husband did spend money on them- but that was the first store I got to stop carrying them, my conscience is clean. Is yours?

That's a great idea - especially since at the walmart near me I went to school with the store manager. I'm certain I could bring this to his attention and he might listen. I already told him that someone needs to be scooping the dead fish on the weekends and it seems to have improved some (although its impossible to keep up with the rate they die there so there is always a couple but at least much better than the past when there would be 5+ in each tank!)

Back
Top Bottom