Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Heartbroken

I just got a new 10 gal. aquarium about 3 weeks ago. After reading many blogs I purchase the Master test kit and all the other recommended maintenance items. Well, Thursday I tested my water and saw I had high Ammonia. I did my first water change using the siphon. I was incredibly nervous to suck up or injure a fish. But I managed to do a 25 to 30% change with no issues.

The next day I tested again, and the ammonia only slightly dropped. I then decided I needed to do another water change, this time 50%.

This time around I removed most of the decor so I could really get in there and see what Iím doing. Everything was good, I kept counting my little guys. I then continued to replace the decorations & refill after some time. About an hour later I check in and do my count and one of my Coryís is missing. Iím in a panic.

Iíve emptied out the tank, took out the decorations. Checked the hallow ones, nothing! Iíve moved around the gravel, nothing. My fish tank is also covered.. how did he go missing, did I kill or bury the little guys without realizing? Iím truly heart broken and feel so bad!

I donít understand how thereís no trace!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Are you dosing with Prime? Will help greatly with ammonia.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingtrees View Post
Are you dosing with Prime? Will help greatly with ammonia.
Prime does nothing for ammonia as dozens and dozens of web sites and phD chemist have stated. Prime is a reducer of chlorine and ammonia can only be removed by oxidation. If you do a water change and add prime to reduce the chlorine, that is why ammonia is removed, normal. But all dechlorinators to the same thing.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Prime does nothing for ammonia as dozens and dozens of web sites and phD chemist have stated. Prime is a reducer of chlorine and ammonia can only be removed by oxidation. If you do a water change and add prime to reduce the chlorine, that is why ammonia is removed, normal. But all dechlorinators to the same thing.
So, it does help. I'm blocking you mate, your condescending attitude is constant and annoying.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingtrees View Post
So, it does help. I'm blocking you mate, your condescending attitude is constant and annoying.
Like I said, with water changes yes. Prime all by itself does not remove ammonia. Sorry if you misunderstood.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the record... Prime does not remove anything from the water. It does detoxify nitrates, nitrite and ammonia for, up to, 24 hours. It neutralizes chlorine and chlorimine. It can be dosed 3x recommended for a cycling tank. Essentially if you use prime and do a daily wc you can safely do a fish in cycle.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
For the record... Prime does not remove anything from the water. It does detoxify nitrates, nitrite and ammonia for, up to, 24 hours. It neutralizes chlorine and chlorimine. It can be dosed 3x recommended for a cycling tank. Essentially if you use prime and do a daily wc you can safely do a fish in cycle.
OP stated they were doing water changes. Sorry about your fish, part of the hobby. Keep testing the water and it will be more fun. Small tanks are the hardest!
Old 08-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Don't want to have any issues here, but that is why folks get in trouble.

Read here... http://aquariumscience.org/index.php...rime-and-safe/
Old 08-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Don't want to have any issues here, but that is why folks get in trouble.

Read here... http://aquariumscience.org/index.php...rime-and-safe/
Hahah nice article. I've been using the product since day one and I've dodged quite a few bullets with it. Haters gonna hate, prime is the apex of aquarium water conditioners/science.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Op- sorry to slide the soapbox into your thread. Cycling a tank is a tad stressful. Sounds like you're on the ball though. Keep changing water daily to remove toxins and you'll get there. I'd leave the tank scape as is, less stress on the fish.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com