Heat control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
The closer it gets to spring in northern Wisconsin obviously the outside temperature goes up. I've noticed for the last few days an increase in temperatures in both my 55 and 5 gallon. The only changes to my room is the shades have gone up to let natural light in for my plants and an attempt to use less lights. Could this be the reasons for the increased temps, and what techniques can be used to gradually bring temps down to the level they've been at?

The closer it gets to spring in northern Wisconsin obviously the outside temperature goes up. I've noticed for the last few days an increase in temperatures in both my 55 and 5 gallon. The only changes to my room is the shades have gone up to let natural light in for my plants and an attempt to use less lights. Could this be the reasons for the increased temps, and what techniques can be used to gradually bring temps down to the level they've been at?

I've noticed that the ambient temps in the room definitely do make a difference. For some reason, my heater won't heat up to the temp I set it at in the winter b/c my ambient temp is 68. However, it's warmer now and I think it was 74 or so in our house yesterday. Our tank heater is set to 84...and when the temp in the room was 68, it only heated to 80. This morning, I saw it was at 82.

So I guess what I am going to have to do is turn down the heater when it's warmer in the house.

If ambient temps are giving you issues, you can try keeping your shades down in the warmer part of the day (12-4?) and then pull them up for the rest of the day. Maybe try lowering your heater as well? The thermostat in the heater may not be entirely accurate, so you can attempt to make a proper balance.

NODAK1979 said:
I've noticed that the ambient temps in the room definitely do make a difference. For some reason, my heater won't heat up to the temp I set it at in the winter b/c my ambient temp is 68. However, it's warmer now and I think it was 74 or so in our house yesterday. Our tank heater is set to 84...and when the temp in the room was 68, it only heated to 80. This morning, I saw it was at 82.

How big is your tank vs wattage of your heater?

For a tank that is 55g or larger, I may be inclined to put two heaters in the tank instead of one and put them on opposite sides of the tank.

That's the thing, I don't have heaters. These are cold water tanks. For the answer to temps before and after, the average was around 70, and has fluctuated up to 74-5 in the last few days.

I'm assuming obviously that almost 5 degrees above average is an issue

Back
Top Bottom