Heater emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
My heater broke last night aparently... the temp was at about 73 in the AM. well last night I looked at about 11 and it was 63.8!!! I cant get a heater until tonigat about 6... are my Fishies going to die? I have a snail, 9 various tetra and a catfish.

Ich would be the main concern.

Once you get your new heater in don't set it at the normal temperature since warming them up can cause more stress. Every hour increase the temperature a degree or two. Same thing if your fish does get ich increase your temp only by a degree or two.

Fish metabolism is slowed down when they are kept in cooler water, so feed a little less until your temperature is back to normal, so you don't end up with another problem.

Keep an eye out for ich and remember catfish don't do well with some medication.

Ich would be the main concern.

Once you get your new heater in don't set it at the normal temperature since warming them up can cause more stress. Every hour increase the temperature a degree or two. Same thing if your fish does get ich increase your temp only by a degree or two.

Fish metabolism is slowed down when they are kept in cooler water, so feed a little less until your temperature is back to normal, so you don't end up with another problem.

Keep an eye out for ich and remember catfish don't do well with some medication.
thanks
I hope my little guys make it... ive only had them for about 3 days and alrady im trying to kill them :nono:

Depending on the size of the heater, putting the new one in at the desired temperature isn't going to raise the water temperature exponentially. You'll get a slow steady warm up.

Blankets, warming the ambient room temperature and running your lights would help also.

I left the light on all night but the temp is hte same as the room... Its near a window that always has the shade down so I opened it to try and get some solar heat. 1 day shouldnt make the algee grow too bad and if so id rather have to deal with that then lose my fish. Ive grown quite attaced to my catfish in the few days ive had him. it took the guy like 3-5 minuts to catch the one I wanted. He is VERY active.

Oh... I am getting another 100 watt heater for the tank. the one I had had no temp guage on it kist a + to -. im going to spend the few extra bucks for the one with the thermostat on it. of course i still have my thermometer but it would make me feel better. 100 is fine for a 20 gallon right?

I know I have to raise it slowly... how slowly. I read the ICH article jsut to prepare myself just in case and they said in that to do 1-1.5 degrees per 12 hours. is this a good judge for me. it should withing 24-36 hours at least get me back up to the lowest temp I have seen (67-68). as if you cant tell... im really worrie dabout my little guys.

IMO I'd set it at 78 (or whatever) and stick it in. Your fish aren't going to be very happy at those reduced temps. The ich article was talking about raising the temp from 78-80 to the higher required temp to kill the ich.

100 watt is fine

well so far they are all a lot happier and swimming around like they should be :D

its 68.8 :D

Did you cycle the tank? ( sorry for the Q, but you said you only had them for 3 days). Also, what kind of catfish is it? I would set the temp at 72, and let it rise, and the next day, set it up to 78, and once it gets there, leave it.

i would be carefuly raising temp to 80 degrees, some fish have trouble breathing at that temp, watch for laboured breathing. and its pretty crucial if your tank isnt fully cycled yet, if its not cycelled your playing a whole new ball game.

Back
Top Bottom