Heater for small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raignis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife has a 4g tank that is ready for a betta except I haven't found a heater for it yet. All of the smaller ones (25w or less) I've looked at seem to have terrible reviews, mostly that they stop working within two to four weeks after purchase. The brands I tend to look at Aqueon Pro, Fluval and Eheim have 50w and up. Would these be overkill for a smaller tank such as this?

In my experience it doesn't matter which brand you use- the small heaters aren't 100% reliable no matter how much you spend.

I've used just about every kind out there.

I have found that the Aqueon 10W heater has been my most reliable but thats not to say i haven't had a problem with that brand either lol

They are so cheap i keep 2 spares on hand in case i have an issue and a thermometer is a must.

I use the small Tetra brand one from Walmart in my 5 gallon. No bells or whistles, but seems to do the job so far (about 8 months).

I like my Aqueon pro 50 watt. They keep a steady heat. Keep mine at 80. But my Betta with that heater is in a 10g. I will also say, I've used a 150 watt (same brand) on a 10 gallon when I didn't have a smaller heater and it stayed steady at 78 when I had it set at 72(I think) might of been 74. Bigger heaters just gotta turn them down a bet. Aqueon sells mini heaters too up to 5 gallons. They have a few different ones. Look up mini heaters.

I have a three gallon tank for my betta, and the heater I have is the Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 25 watt. It has different settings from about 66 degrees to 96 degrees F. It has never puttered out on me and it is always true to temperature.

We ended up trying the Aqueon mini heater for now. It's been on for 24 hours and seems to be keeping steady at 75-76 degrees. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for the input.

Update: During the first week the heater was in, the temperature kept rising and on day five it hit 82 degrees and kept climbing. We switched it out with a Tetra HT10 and it's been staying steady at 78. I figure we'll hang onto the Aqueon and use it for a ten gallon I plan on setting up at some point.

My wife has a 4g tank that is ready for a betta except I haven't found a heater for it yet. All of the smaller ones (25w or less) I've looked at seem to have terrible reviews, mostly that they stop working within two to four weeks after purchase. The brands I tend to look at Aqueon Pro, Fluval and Eheim have 50w and up. Would these be overkill for a smaller tank such as this?
Penn Plax Aquarium Heater Fully Submersible Within 1 Degree of Accuracy 25 Watt Heats Up to 5 Gallon Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TUKEZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dy4zAbE0CP3KG

I got this a year ago for my son's 3 gal betta tank and it hasn't had one problem. The 25 watt is 6 in. in length so it was small enough for what I needed. I got a thermometer for the inside of the tank for better accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom