Heater glass cracked and broke???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi hi everyone!

Discovered that my Visi-Therm submersible heater has apparently been slowly cracking over the past few weeks - I had been hearing an odd noise, what sounded like piece of glass tapping once on another piece of glass, every so often from the direction of the tank. I never saw any problems with the dresser the tank is on, nor did I see any problem with the tank's glass. Today I noticed that the heater looked like the casing had cracks and then noticed that there was water inside the chamber (thought this was a bad sign).

Decided to take it out and inspect it and the casing fell apart befor I could pull it out. Recovered the pieces (reassembled the casing to make sure I got it all), and used my back up (thank GOODNESS I thought to get a backup heater!). I want to replace the backup already because it's a HOB and my top doesn't close all the way now.

But has anyone ever had that happen to them? Is this something I should write to the company about? I have a very docile community of fish - none have the stength or inclination to ram the heater (and whenever I heard the tap noise, I always watched to see if the fish were up to some mischief, but there was never any movement to suggest so).

I like the submersible because it was so easy to set and I didn't need tocut any more of the cover away to make room for it. Any opinions?

Sometimes you get unlucky. Usually they do not break unless they are left on when the water is drained out. I suggest an Ebo Jager, because (I believe) they shut off automatically when the water is drained.

Glad to hear you got all the pieces, I haven't had one break, but Menagerie is right, they usually only crack when they lack water around them (drained tank when plugged in)

I doubt you could do much even if it was flawed since the company could easily say it was exposed to air while running.

Via Aqua Titanium Heater is another one that is made from titanium, it's mainly for agressive fish, but it won't crack (ever) if you are looking to have your mind put to ease.

That must have been it - leaving it plugged in while doing PWCs - I thought they automatically shut off when that happened, but I guess I was wrong. My bad. Oh well, it wasn't so expensive that I should cry over it. Ordered a Jager from Big Al's and will be sure to unplug it next time I do a PWC.

Live and learn!

MoxieGrrrl said:
That must have been it - leaving it plugged in while doing PWCs - I thought they automatically shut off when that happened, but I guess I was wrong. My bad. Oh well, it wasn't so expensive that I should cry over it. Ordered a Jager from Big Al's and will be sure to unplug it next time I do a PWC.

Live and learn!

...and let it sit off for 5 minutes before doing that change, to give it time to cool.

Hey Moxie, long time no see. When I do PWC, I just shove my Thermal Compact heater deeper into the aquarium. It sits in the suction cup holder, so it just slides up or down. Removing 20-25% of the water usually leaves the water level right at the water mark on the heater. I don't advocate it, but if you're feeling lazy like I always do, give it a shot. I guess I'm just asking to be shocked. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom