Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
heater guard?

i just got a couple of synodontis eupterus, and i have read 2 websites so far that say a heater guard is recommended for they can easily get burned if they hide behind the heater

personally i didn't even know heater guards existed, but do you guys think that is really necessary? i would just think if the heater was hot, the fish would naturally not swim up against it (duh!) lol

Old 04-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

what kind of filter are u running, if you have a canister you can get an inline heater like hydro 100w 200w n 300w heater that doesnt even go inside your tank. regarding the guard I have no idea.

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know some fish do not have heat pain recptors. (Before I learned this I thought the same thing as you.)

Do you have a way that you can put the heater in an area of high water flow? The extra water flow will keep the surface of the heater much cooler.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
hmm that's very interesting hashbaz. unfortunately i do not have too high of a current in that tank, as it is only a 55 gallon with a power filter on it.

i'm thinking of just getting a heater guard in that case...seems like my best option

but it looks like all bigal's has for heater guards are for smaller heaters...mines like a little less than 300 watts i think :-/ don't have time to check now

http://www.bigalsonline.com/search/?...1=heater+guard
Old 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

email them and see what they say.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
intresting I didn't think about wetehr fish could feel heat pains, but then agian why would they make a guard if they couldn't, to make money thats why loll

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com