heater guards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

do you use heater guards on any of your tanks?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i use them and think they are worth buying if you have big fish, kinda no point on having them with small fish, they do prevent plecos from getting burned also

Nope, no big fish in my tank. Haven't even had to put in the heater until now--the water wouldn't cool below 82 degrees. NYC's hot in the summer! But today it finally got cold, and the tank's down to 76 degrees. Kinda suprised that I lost no fish with a 6 degree temp swing! Now the heater is in...

I know! But I'm sure they're really relieved! The high temp is NOT good for my neons... I've lost a few to the sweltering heat, I'm afraid. And I've tried everything to keep the temp down. But in a 55, it's not easy!

I think if you keep larger cichlids it is a must, and I have certainly heard of smaller fish hiding behind them and getting burned (some stories posted about this here but can't recall where). Some have resorted to the Tetratec filters with built-in heaters, or substrate heaters. I have heard that Ebo-Jager are the best for withstanding fishy abuse.

Yup, that's been my biggest stress about this 55 Gallon I've got, e-cat. And I'm not a big fan of air conditioning, so I don't use that to cool off the room... Never mind. It gets plenty cold here in the fall and winter. And winter seems to last until April or May nowadays, so I should only have to worry for three months a year or so!

Back
Top Bottom