Heater Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I have read that the temperature setting on heaters isnt all too accurate, but mine seems to be off by about 10 degrees. I replaced the stick on thermometer with a digital I got from big al's. The stick on was difficult to read but was indicating that it was above 80, the digital is however more accurate and I trust it more. I have been slowly lowering the temperature a little every couple of days. The fish I have in the tank seem to not be bothered at all, they are tetras and platys.

Should I replace this heater, it is a 200w model I got with the all glass aquarium kit that I got.

i have a 200 watt submersible heater, and it varies in temp. no more than a degree or 2 max.

is your house going through rapid tempeture changes, like its near a door or window? if that is the case, your heater can't keep up when the water cools off quickly. if not and the room temp is stable i would say you have a faulty heater

Its heating fine just the temperature maintains about 10 degrees higher than the setpoint on the dial. There isnt any fluctuation in the room or the tank, and I feel the heater is functioning. Just the dial is way off.

If it is staying steady it is working fine. No need to change it except it probably is a low quality heater, so you may want to think on upgrading it or at least having a spare available.

Don't worry about the dial. Just set it to where the digital thermometer reads the temp you want. As long as it stays within a degree or 2 throughout the day it is working fine.

Well if you plan on getting another heater I'd look up on getting a Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater. My friend has 2 for his 55gal and it works really good. Check them out see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom