Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

heater issues

Hello all,

I am wanting to upgrade my tank heater (currently using a cheapy one)

It seems to do the job ok, as long as NO ONE touches, bumps, or breathes in it's general direction. The control knob is extremely sensitive and I have had to be checking it constantly. It is very easy to bump it inadvertantly and has been a battle to maintain a balanced temp the last few days. I check it every couple of hours and it will either be creeping to warm or not warm enough.

So I thought I would ask you fine folks what you think about the heaters that are out there. Are there some that are not so easy to bump?

What are your thoughts on in-line heaters (I currently use a magnum 350 cannister filter)

It seems that some submersible heaters have built in thermostat...anyone use one of these?

I am looking for a reliable heater, not TOO expensive but good quality. (preferably not in excess of $50.00)

So tell me what you use/have used and why you do or do not like them if you would.

I am going to town tomorrow and would like to pick one up then but would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion one way or the other first if at all possible.

Thanks so much!
[/quote]

Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i like THIS ONE

Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i've only had it for about a month, but the marineland visi-therm stealth heater is awesome. spot on temperature and against the black background, i hardly notice it. the only downside is that there isn't a light to tell me if its on or off, but from what i've read about it, that's hardly an issue.

plus, if you get on petsmart.com you can order or price match one, 250 watts for $20.

Petsmart- Stealth Heater
Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I need to second scalesojustice...my old heater sounds rather like yours. I got a visi-therm stealth on various recommendations and I love it. Granted, I also have only had it for a month or so but it has been great. Keeps the tank stable within a degree or two. Only down side is it doesn't have a light to tell you it's working.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I love Visitherm Stealth heaters. I have one in each of my 55g tanks and one in my 29g...and they do an excellent job of keeping the temp stable. They automatically shut off when out of water. I know this to be true because when I do 50% water changes, some of the heater is out of water and it doesn't make the sizzling noise that other heaters do when they are out of water and then get wet again (if that makes sense).

If you want to spend the money, get the inline heater. I have heard lots of good things about them and it gets the heater out of the tank (less clutter in the tank). If I could afford one, I'd get one for my 55g planted.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, you can't beat the Visitherm heaters for the price. A 250W should suit your needs nicely. I notice you're from Montana - you may want to consider getting two 150W heaters or one 300W for those cold winter nights.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also love the Visi-Therms. It is the only type that we use.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard great things about the Hydor inline heaters from a lot of folks on the board that use them. The only thing that I would check into if you want one is the diameter of the tubing on your Magnum filter- there is a brand of canister that doesn't fit and I can't remember which one. I haven't used the VisiTherm heaters but again, I have heard lots of good things. I use quite a few Ebo Jagers at the store I work for and they seem really good. In fact, I think I'll be replacing one of my heaters with a Jager tomorrow after work, jsut because it is readily available to me.

Good luck!
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Hey! Thank you, to all who replied!

I did end up going with the Visi-Therm Stealth model and I really do like it. It keeps a steady temperature MUCH better than my old one. And I love how you can not even see it against the black background.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogg
i like THIS ONE
I have that same heater, i had no clue it was fully submersible though lol I always saw the "water line here" line and didnt think i could submerse it.

-Pleco
Old 11-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
I've heard great things about the Hydor inline heaters from a lot of folks on the board that use them. The only thing that I would check into if you want one is the diameter of the tubing on your Magnum filter- there is a brand of canister that doesn't fit and I can't remember which one. I haven't used the VisiTherm heaters but again, I have heard lots of good things. I use quite a few Ebo Jagers at the store I work for and they seem really good. In fact, I think I'll be replacing one of my heaters with a Jager tomorrow after work, jsut because it is readily available to me.

Good luck!
Yes, the Hydor inlines are excellent filters. Even after letting mine accidentally boil off, no damage was done. Then when I read up on them, short periods of no water won't hurt them. But I don't want to do that again, lol. Yes, they hold the temp very stable as well.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Via-aqua stainless steel or titanium are my favorite. The temp control is out of the water and the temp sensor is not attached to the heating element. Plus, there is no way you are going to break them. They are around the same price as the visitherms.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com