Heater placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering what the best place to put my heater would be.

It's one of the long thin tube type ones (Visitherm)...

My tank is a 55gal, 48" wide, 12" deep and 22" high.

Should I be placing it vertically, horizontally, on which side of the tank, how deep down, etc etc.

Thanks!

I'd put it in the middle, as low to the bottom as you can. Is it submersible? If it is you can put it horizontally if you want, I don't have a submersible so I put mine vertical.

I am not really sure where the best place to put the heater is althought I have read it should be somewhere with alot of cirulation if its a fully submisable one I wouldnt put it to close to the top because evaperation could expose it and cause it to break. At the very bottom could also be dangerous with bottom dwellers, they could be burned on it.

Yes it's fully submersible, cheers for the reply!

So, on the back, horizontal, in the middle, close to the bottom?

I have mine horizontal, about 1.5 inches above the pool filter sand, behind a cave and driftwood. From there, some of the heated water gets drawn into my Emperor 400 intake.

I have a single Visitherm submersible heater in each of my tanks - all placed horizontally on the back pane, centered, and about 4 inches above the gravel. This way, there is no way of accidently exposing it to air and causing breakage during PWCs.
For tanks longer than 36 inches, two heaters placed at either end would probably provide more even heating.

I've got a 300w Visitherm which will do more than my 55gal apparently...

But my tank is 48" long, would you get another one?? Don't want to be wasting money really.

Place it in the center of the tank horizontally, about 1-2 inches above the gravel and you will be fine. I got a 300W in my 55G 48" tank and is just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom