Heater positioning and your preferences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blatchy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I was just browsing the gallery looking at everyone's sexy setups and I was just curious as to what you believe is the best way to position your heater. I have mine on the back of the tank on a 45 degree angle. I did this as I thought that the heat rather than rising to the top would be more evenly distributed at both the top and bottom and on both sides of the tank.

I have also placed an air stone under this to spread the warmth. It is a bit of an eye sore but do you feel it is better for the tank or has no real impact?

:?:

Hi Blatchy,

I usually place my heaters diagonally because my heaters have the thermostat in the top part and when the heater heats up the water it rises to the thermostat, then the heater shuts off. I find that when I set them up diagonally, the warm rising water doesn't affect the thermostat as often.

As fas as general placement, I prefer them near the filter output, or near powerheads, so the warm water circulates throughout the tank.

HTH

I put it by the HOB as well in the winter I put a backup therm on the far side and set it 2 degrees below the primary. That way if it goes out the back-up will kick in or if the water is unevenly distributed.

Back
Top Bottom