Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heater question

My wife and I were looking at Tetra Submersible Heater's to use in out tank once we get the GF out of it. All of them were set at 78*F with no way to adjust them. Would those heaters be sufficient for just about any tropical fish? I see all sorts of temperature ranges when I am getting info on fish so it just seems odd that it would be stationary at 78*.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I won't say all, but just about any fish will be fine at 78F. That's a pretty middle of the road temperature, which is probably why it is set to that

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
IMO invest in a heater(s) that can go up to 90 ... if you should have an ich outbreak ... one of the treatments is getting the water temp above 86.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp View Post
I won't say all, but just about any fish will be fine at 78F. That's a pretty middle of the road temperature, which is probably why it is set to that
Thanks. We are cycling a 10G tank right now and all its lacking is a heater so, we were hoping this would work!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
IMO invest in a heater(s) that can go up to 90 ... if you should have an ich outbreak ... one of the treatments is getting the water temp above 86.
I was looking at a heater that would go to 90* but it is a bit out of my price range. THe heater we are looking at is $14 and should get us by for a few months until our financial situation is better. I will keep that information in mind though, and hope I never have to worry about ich
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccross View Post
I was looking at a heater that would go to 90* but it is a bit out of my price range. THe heater we are looking at is $14 and should get us by for a few months until our financial situation is better. I will keep that information in mind though, and hope I never have to worry about ich
Yeah ... higher end heaters can get pricey .. but I'm certain Petco / Petsmart will offer sales soon enough. First chance you can buy one.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Yeah ... higher end heaters can get pricey .. but I'm certain Petco / Petsmart will offer sales soon enough. First chance you can buy one.
They actually just got them in here at the local Walmart (Just today actually). I try to buy what accessories I need from them because their prices are better than the Pet chain stores and they will take anything back. I like to know I can return something without a fight if it doesnt suit my needs
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

Petsmart often has heaters on sale, I've gotten a few from there for $10-20. I don't like those preset heaters either, but I'm sure they work just fine for every day use.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Petsmart often has heaters on sale, I've gotten a few from there for $10-20. I don't like those preset heaters either, but I'm sure they work just fine for every day use.
Its just gonna go in a 10G with some Celestial Danios and Dwarf Cory's. Its my first tropical tank, cant wait till its cycled so I can get my fish!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

sounds like a fun tank.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just get a thermometer and check it at every feeding. I think you'll be ok.

On another note though: I had a top fin heater with painted or screen printed little blue spots. When I adjusted the position of the heater in the tank and once it was warm, the paint came off and disbursed in my tank. I got as much out with my net as possible but I think one of my Corys ate a paint chip and died as a result. I cannot prove that this was the case but I'm very suspicious. The paint chips look a lot like flake food. Just be very weary of what you put into thier environment.
60g planted/ Anubius, anubias, amazon swords, giant hairgrass, micro sword, mondo grass, java fern. 6 tiger barbs, 6 albino tigers, 10 glowlight, 4 rummy noses, 14 blk neons, 14 neons, 3 otocinclus, 2 ghost cats, 4 peppered corys.
Jammer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just took the water temp on both my tanks with a digital thermometer. Surprisingly both are at 84*f. Doesnt surprise me being that its constantly about 85* in my apartment since the AC died on us. I hope my goldies arent suffering because of it.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com