Heater Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't needed a heater in my tank until just now, and as it turns out, I had bought one a while back and never used it, so I can save a few bucks and use that one when I get back Sunday from Thanksgiving break. My room gets really, really hot during the day, and so the water in my tank was a steady 78-80 degrees. Usually closer to 80, but sometimes it was around 78. Not too much deviation. I left my window open last night as my room was 86 degrees, and when I looked this morning, my tank had gone down to about 74-75 degrees overnight. I won't open my window tonight, and I won't be here until Sunday night after that, so the water should be fine for that time. I have some questions about the heater so that I completely and confidently know what I'm doing. How does the heater actually work? Can I set it to a specific temperature and it adjust accordingly, or do I have to closely monitor my water? It's a submersible heater, though I am currently unsure of the size and won't be sure until tomorrow evening when I can look at it (my grandma found it and is having knee surgery tomorrow, so has a lot of trouble on the stairs). If it's not for a 10-gal tank and is instead for one smaller, at least it will be some heat until I can get income to pay for a bigger heater. My schedule is a lot more open next semester, and so I should be able to get an on-campus job a lot easier, and therefore should be able to afford more to keep my tank as healthy and happy as possible. I've done what I can this semester with being nearly broke. It has a brand-new 10-gal filter, as it used to have a baby filter that I was told would crash my tank. I have two live plants, bamboo and what I've been told is Bacopa. I have a silk plant that hopefully soon I will be replacing as some branches keep falling into the middle of the tank and annoying me. I have a cuttlebone for my three snails and two caves along with a color-changing LED airstone. My plants and airstone are surrounded by large aquarium rocks as my three corys like to unbury them. I have a flame dwarf gourami as well in there, and he's quite peaceful and friendly until one of the corys hit him, and then he puts them in their place. Other than that, no issues with bullying or anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. :thanks:

they are designed to keep your tank to with in one degree of what you set it to.
just like you home heating system it will cut on and off as needed.

It depends on the heater. if it doesn't have a thermostat. there should be a light inside that comes on when the heater starts. if its a small heater without an adjustable dial then it should be set to around 76-78 degrees. if it has a settable dial you need to set it.

So to set it just put it in the water and wait a few mins. If the light doesn't come on, turn the dial just until you see the light just cut on. At this point the heater should be set to roughly 1 degree higher them the present tank temp. So if the tank temp is 78 the heater is now set to 79. if you want to keep it it at 78 then just turn the dial down till the light cuts off. I always monitor the setting for the first few days after setting up a new heater. just to make sure its working correctly and keeping the tank at the temp i choose. Check it every couple hours after first setting it. it may need some fine tuning. once you get it where you want it your done!

Back
Top Bottom