Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heater Questions

I have 2 tanks I am buying new heaters for. So one is a 25 tall and the other a 36 bow. Our house fluctuates from 69-74 usually and occasionally drops to 63-65 on really cold nights. What wattage do I need?
Also what brand is safest? I was looking at ehiem jager but if there is a better safer option Im all ears. Thanks and God bless!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the Jager Thermostat Heater 100 watt on my 29 gallon high and it keeps the temp at whatever I set it for. My home temps run as low as 60 to as high as
90's. I have let it get colder and the tank temp stays good. I like the fact you can calibrate it if the temp seems off. You just turn the dial to the actual tank temp that is showing on a good thermometer and then set the temp you want. I have only had to do that once in the year I have owned it. I have moved it around a lot, forgot to turn it off a few times when changing water, and even dropped it and it is still working.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
I use the Jager Thermostat Heater 100 watt on my 29 gallon high and it keeps the temp at whatever I set it for. My home temps run as low as 60 to as high as
90's. I have let it get colder and the tank temp stays good. I like the fact you can calibrate it if the temp seems off. You just turn the dial to the actual tank temp that is showing on a good thermometer and then set the temp you want. I have only had to do that once in the year I have owned it. I have moved it around a lot, forgot to turn it off a few times when changing water, and even dropped it and it is still working.
Sweet! So the 100 watt shoukd be good in my 25. In the 36 150 watt?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 100 watt should be enough to heat both the 25 and the 36 gallon. I went by the chart listed with the heater here Aquarium Heaters: Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater at Drs. Foster and Smith. I was lucky enough to get it on sale at that site for a lot less than what they are listed for now. You might be able to find it cheaper at Amazon.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
A 100 watt should be enough to heat both the 25 and the 36 gallon. I went by the chart listed with the heater here Aquarium Heaters: Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater at Drs. Foster and Smith. I was lucky enough to get it on sale at that site for a lot less than what they are listed for now. You might be able to find it cheaper at Amazon.
Cool thanks! I will be buying off amazon! I am paranoid that my heater will break and kill my fish...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello G...

4 watts per gallon of tank volume is sufficient and "Theo" has a very good product.

B
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello G...

4 watts per gallon of tank volume is sufficient and "Theo" has a very good product.

B
Thanks! So does anybody take any special precautions against overheating in case of accident?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post

Thanks! So does anybody take any special precautions against overheating in case of accident?
Most if not all heaters will turn off once they reach the required temperature and turn back on when it drops. So not really, too much direct sunlight? I dont know

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post

Most if not all heaters will turn off once they reach the required temperature and turn back on when it drops. So not really, too much direct sunlight? I dont know
I meant if the heater malfunctioned.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post

I meant if the heater malfunctioned.
In that case.. no, i cant think of any precautions you could take if the heater malfunctions... a temperature alarm? If there is such a thing. Check them daily, i cant think of anything tbh my minds blank on this one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post

In that case.. no, i cant think of any precautions you could take if the heater malfunctions... a temperature alarm? If there is such a thing. Check them daily, i cant think of anything tbh my minds blank on this one.
Oh ok thanks.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your best defense is probably researching for and purchasing a quality product. Even then, there's no guarantee (like most of life).
I have heard of some folks that get two lower wattage heaters ( ie two 50 watts) instead of one. This way, if one fails it takes longer to become a real problem. Also, with a heater at both ends of the tank you get a more even distribution.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com