heater vs. thermometer discrepancy! which do I use/follow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an aquaone heater and thermometer.

Now I set by heater to 26 degrees Celcius (79 F)
My thermometer reads (82-84 F)

which one is correct ??

what should I do ??

Your thermometer is probably correct, but sometimes they are off too. Get another one for $2 and see if it also reads 82-84°.

BTW...it is a good idea to look at all the thermometers in the store and see what they say. They should all give the same temp. If there is a bad one you will spot it compared to the others.

It's likely they can both be inaccurate. gfink has given everyone some excellent advice here. The only sure way to tell if a thermometer is measuring correctly is to place more than one at the same location. They should be registering the same.

I ran into this problem too. SO I stuck 6 drop in thermometers in my tank (4 corners and two half way out from the center where my heater is on the back) and one out side to messure the temp in my room for a week and took recordings of the finding.

In the end, I found the temp gauge on my RETA heater is COMPLETLY OFF! Most of my temp readings were within a degree or two of each other and normally 2 - 4 off from the heater's set temp.

Also what kind of thermometer are you using?? Them "stick on" ones that go on the out side of the glass are not very accurate as all they measure is the temp of the glass. Use the drop in ones. They are often cheaper and don’t look to bad.

Anyother good alternative is the digital thermometers. They are about $6 and very accurate. Also, what is the temp in your house?

my heater is off by a couple of degrees...it was very frustrating before I realized what the problem was. Is your heater the kind that has the thermoastat in it?

CompMage said:
I ran into this problem too. SO I stuck 6 drop in thermometers in my tank (4 corners and two half way out from the center where my heater is on the back) and one out side to messure the temp in my room for a week and took recordings of the finding.

In the end, I found the temp gauge on my RETA heater is COMPLETLY OFF! Most of my temp readings were within a degree or two of each other and normally 2 - 4 off from the heater's set temp.

Also what kind of thermometer are you using?? Them "stick on" ones that go on the out side of the glass are not very accurate as all they measure is the temp of the glass. Use the drop in ones. They are often cheaper and don’t look to bad.

No, i'm NOT using the 'stick on' thermometer.

I'm using the Drop in ones (that sit in the water)

I just purchased a Visitherm Stealth heater and its dial is also off by about 2 degrees. I have 2 thermometers so I can verify readings and make sure the heater is being good.

Back
Top Bottom