Hello and question about snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomSawyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, great site …

This is my first post and I am looking for your input... my background in this hobby is over 13 years, I currently have 3 freshwater tanks, 55, 35g and 15g, all artificial plants, all high end Ehiem and Sun/Sun canister filtration, internal Fluval 3 & 4, Bluetooth heaters, Finnex 24/7 led lighting...etc.

I have had an explosion of Ramshorn snails in my 35G tank and I have no idea why, I have not added anything to the tank in at least 3 months, the only snail I have in this tank is a nerite which has been in the tank for at least 6 months.

About 3 months ago I noticed egg sacks on the water line, in this tank I have 8 cory's of multiple types, 5 male and two mature female cherry barbs, a spotted green pleco and a golden nugget pleco, I am running two sun/sun 4 stage canister filters on this 35g tank, it is crystal, water changes every two weeks...etc.

How in hell did I get Ramshorn snails in this tank??? As I said I have added nothing to this tank in the last three months. I noticed a couple of snails a while ago, then that quickly became a bunch, now I have piles of them behind rocks and plants, I would estimate somewhere around 75 to 100 Blue Ramshorns.

I am not complaining at this point in time, (but I expect to be overrun in a couple of months) my tank has never been cleaner, it's really amazing, I have a tendency to overfeed due to the confidence I have in my filtration system and my regular water change habits … but the question remains is how these type of snails got into a 5 year plus stable tank when nothing has been added in a minimum of 3 months or more...any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4481.jpg
    IMG_4481.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 34
They were probably introduced when you added something 3 months ago but you didn't notice because baby ramshorns are tiny.
If you think you are going to be overrun then consider getting a single assassin snail. He will eat them but not to the point where you don't have any left so they can keep cleaning.

snails will only reproduce to the amount of food source. If they are multiplying that quickly, you are definitely over feeding the tank leaving lots of waste behind, hence lots of snails to eat the waste. Feed less and you will have less snails.

Back
Top Bottom