Hello, newbie here with question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kercath1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 120 gallon freshwater with about 18 neon tetras along with other fish. For some reason I cannot figure out the neons stay in the left corner of the tank and rarely venture out. The tank is not crowded by any means as we could use more fish. All tank mates are community, no nippers etc., Does anyone have any ideas as to why they don't swim around the tank. We have tried adding more to the school with no succes!!

Hi Bert

We have had the tank set up for about a year and a half. We have had a whole lot of learning by the seat of our pants and even more reading on sites to figure out issues we've had, but, last nite was the first time I came across this site. After reading different posts into the wee hours of the morning I read about the flow of water being an issue for Neon Tetras so this morning I turned down the flow and before my eyes my beautiful Neons are out and about. Now I just have to worry about what turning it down will do if anything. Thank you for asking about the tank in an effort to help me. I found this site to be awesome for info and plan on doing a lot of reading here.
Catherine

welcome to AA! And I'm glad to find out you were able to fix the problem. As long as you are still turning over the water in the tank at a good rate than it shouldn't cause too many problems. If you find "dead zones" in your tank now than you can try placing an airstone in that area. If you think this is not aesthetically acceptable there are a multitude of different ways to hid them. Also this would help keep the water aerated with the decreased flow rate. But I wouldn't do anything until you see how the decreased flow effects the tank. If it seems like nothing has changed than you are golden! Good luck!

I have a question for you. How do you like your neon tetras now that they are swimming all over the tank? I have a 55gal that I can't decide what else to add too and they are near the top of my list.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom