Hello :) Newbie with a Molly Question! Help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KymbecasH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello :) I bought two Creamcicle Lyretail Mollies a few weeks ago, and they failed to tell me whether or not they were m or f, etc etc..

and.. one of them (the smaller of the two) I had noticed was a little pecky, and chasing the other one when I got them home, so it made me a little curious..

Then when I brought home a Dalmation Molly(f), and a Black Molly (m) without buying a breeding thing for the side of my tank (I plan on getting one tomorrow, I'm very new to the breeding thing, so ANY info would be very useful, and I thank you.) I noticed the bigger of the two Lyretails hs a bigger belly than the other.. and since I'm kind of new to this (I used to just have goldfish, I"m new to the whole community M and F and mixing species like Mollies and Tetras, etc) I dont know what it is!

I don't know if it's just because the other is a little bigger, or if she's pregnant, so here is a picture (kind of a bad one, I'll try to get a better one) any info would be appreciated!

and I joined because of the app for the site, I read the wonderful reviews, so I'm awaiting wonderful help and advice, thank you :)

Ok I was able to get another picture, the smaller one is on top, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20110306_180231-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20110306_180231-1-1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20110306_190919.jpg
    IMG_20110306_190919.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 160
So I think so.. Looks a little darker.. Do I need to go get one of those separator things?

You will if you want to keep the babies, if not, than just let nature take its course. You can get some shorter plants for the babies to hide out in so they don't get eaten. Who knows, you could end up with a couple still alive. It's harsh I know, but you'll end up with an overage of mollies, in no time.

I have several mollies and have had 2 batches of fry born since I got them 6 months ago. Right now I have 1 silver molly ready to bear some more fry. If you look closely at the picture you can see her dark spot behind the anal fin (gravid spot). BTW, the way to find out if a molly is a male or female is to look at the anal fin. If it's actually a fin then it's a female. Males have what is called a gonopodium where the anal fin will be. Not to be indelicate, but it is the organ that it uses to fertilize the females eggs, not unlike the human male sex organ (I'm really trying not to offend anyone here).

Attachments

• Gravid Molly_3100281.jpg
    Gravid Molly_3100281.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 143
Hmm... I need to get a better picture lol thanks for your help, I appreciate it, new to the serious aquarium world.

And no offense taken.. They usually have like, hundreds of fry, right?

Well if its only two or so, maybe I should get separator thing.. I'm so new to this.. Maybe I need a book? Lol

Well if its only two or so, maybe I should get separator thing.. I'm so new to this.. Maybe I need a book? Lol

It's really up to you. It depends on whether or not you have the capacity to handle all the new fry. I, personally, let nature take it course. Those that can survive I keep and take care of so I don't isolate the pregnant fish. Right now I have 2 healthy fry that are about 2 months old (those are the only to survive out of 7 known fry). As soon as they are old enough, I'll transfer them to my 60 gallon tank. If you try and save them all you have to have the tank space to keep them or have a plan for finding them good homes.

That's what I was going to do... get homes.. I was going to start up a tank for my mom and one for my dad (both single, older, live alone with no pets and need a hobby, lol) :)

you definatly dont need a seperater ,in fact just give them some plants and preferably a little marine salt(if they are by themselves or with other brackish fish)and you will have more babies than you know what to do with...the females have a triangular anal fin and maLES HAVE A straight pointy fin thaT
POINTS TO THE REAR OF THE TAIL. CHECK OUt LIVEAQUARIA.COM. they have pics of both. i love my mollies but i dont think i can get rid of the offspring fast enough...they are multiplying like rabbits

Hmmm... Thanks for all the great info guys, I appreciate it! Keep it coming ;) lol

Yes Guppy's are very similar. Some LFS's will let you trade them for credit. You won't get much at all, but it's better than over crowding. I learned a lot from Pet Fish Talk its a weekly Internet talk show. Those shows are cool if you don't have lots of reading time or a long commute to work.

Sent from Sean's iPad using Aquarium

Soooo.... Lol I had to get a new phone, and in the meantime... I have baby fish... from a fish I didn't even suspect was pregnant, my Dalmation Molly o_O sooo thanks for all your help guys! The baby fish are doing well, the adults died soon after reporducing, so I had to get more.

Thanks for the tip on the possible credit, appreciate it!

Um.. I have even more babies... So now, my question is.. How often does this happen, so I know about how often I need to set up some kind of fish adoption thing lol.. I have lots... And my Creamsicle Lyretails just now gave birth, both of them.. Ahhh! At the same time! So.. Question two, Creamsicle Lyretail+ Black Molly (it seems)= What? Some kind of dark fry...

Back
Top Bottom