Help!! 0.5 ammonia!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The glo tetra must be hiding if he's alone. If you get a school of neon, glo tetra, and rummy tetra, probably the neons and rummy will school and the glo tetra will make a second school.

I mean, my neon, lampeye, and rummy are sometime schooling together. Sometime they split in 3 school, sometime in 2 school of mixed species... When they stresse they form a compact school of all them together.

It will probably hide from other school if he's alone and probably keep hiding, but he's kept in group, maybe this group will school with the rest of the fishs. Getting rid of it can be an option, give it to somebody that already have some, post a ads on local used selling website.

He's definitely not as visible as some other fish but he doesn't seem to hide too much. Good idea re getting rid of him......just not sure my son who picked him out will be happy!! Hopefully I can get some more glo tetras but if not I will pass him on.

Good deal !

When your mini cycling process will be finished, maybe you can try ONE red cherry shrimp to see if it survive ammonia in water changes, then see if you want more shrimps :) They're awesomes !!!

Maybe you'll like corys pandas, I owned 10 in my 29g, if fit with the siamensis, the shrimps and the nano schooling tetras like neons and rummy.

corydoras-panda.jpg

They cost a fortune, but are worth it IMO. QT them in school to prevent loss, they tend to be really stressed when kept under 5, even only for QT.

They look cool and not that expensive. I am seeing them for 4 bucks. I was looking at discus fish today. Yikes 60 each!! Or a zebra pleco. $499. Wow! I had no idea you could spend so much on fish!!

They look cool and not that expensive. I am seeing them for 4 bucks. I was looking at discus fish today. Yikes 60 each!! Or a zebra pleco. $499. Wow! I had no idea you could spend so much on fish!!

I built a 20g saltwater setup for reef. Cost around 1000$ with fish and corals....
+ Maintenance, products like calcium, mag, alk, salts, expensives test kits, rodi unit...

I built a 20g saltwater setup for reef. Cost around 1000$ with fish and corals....
+ Maintenance, products like calcium, mag, alk, salts, expensives test kits, rodi unit...

Yes I heard that saltwater was a lot more expensive. I think I'll happily stick to my freshwater! I know the fish are less colorful but I somehow like it more anyway.

So I'm approaching week 4 of the upgrade. Still Trates/Trites 0. Ammonia has remained at .15 to .25 the last 2-3 weeks with no change.

I've read that the ammonia test kits (API) often give a false reading. I was waiting for 0 ammonia before adding new fish but it doesn't seem to be coming and I'm wondering if it's a false test result?

Do you think that by week 4 if I'm still at .25 amm and 0 trates/trites that I can take out the old media to put in my QT tank for some new fish?

So I'm approaching week 4 of the upgrade. Still Trates/Trites 0. Ammonia has remained at .15 to .25 the last 2-3 weeks with no change.

I've read that the ammonia test kits (API) often give a false reading. I was waiting for 0 ammonia before adding new fish but it doesn't seem to be coming and I'm wondering if it's a false test result?

Do you think that by week 4 if I'm still at .25 amm and 0 trates/trites that I can take out the old media to put in my QT tank for some new fish?

Possible some tests kits give false 0 - 0.25ppm positive. Just do a double check with another liquid test at the LFS.

Bring some tap water and some tank water... We'll be sure this time ^.^

By the way since we talked about my lone glo tetra I have watched and he (or she) does not hide at all in fact he is swimming around quite happily just as visible as can be! Do you think he is still stressed even tho showing no signs? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom