HELP!!! 2 Black Ghost knife fish dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephens0813

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just had two black ghost knifes die today and i do not know why.
Yesterday when i tested my water i had ph 7.6 ammonia .25ppm Nitrite and Nitrate 0ppm i did a 25% water change due to the ammonia and tested it this morning and ph went to 7.5 ammonia 0ppm nitrite and nitrate were both 0ppm and i went out to do errands and came home to one of them dead so i took it out immediately and went back out for a few things and came home to another dead. my readings are the same as this morning and none of the other fish are acting wierd. both of the knifes weren't showing any signs of sickness or anything of that nature. does anyone have an idea as to why they might have died?

You are no where NEAR cycled my friend. Read the link in my sig. On fishless cycling. You've got the test kit, which is good, but your having an ammonia spike. Also, the ghost knife will get way too big for your tank. I'd take all the other fish back and fishless cycle, as you're going to keep losing fish for about 3 months unless you do.

I've had the tank for a little over amonth now though. i thought that i was cycled :/

what would the parameters look like on a cycled tank. i was told 0's on everything (by lfs clerk). is this not right?

Edit: i knew that they were going to get big i was planning on getting a 55 gallon in the near future from my wife since my birthday is this coming week :) hopefull

stephens0813 said:
I just had two black ghost knifes die today and i do not know why.
Yesterday when i tested my water i had ph 7.6 ammonia .25ppm Nitrite and Nitrate 0ppm i did a 25% water change due to the ammonia and tested it this morning and ph went to 7.5 ammonia 0ppm nitrite and nitrate were both 0ppm and i went out to do errands and came home to one of them dead so i took it out immediately and went back out for a few things and came home to another dead. my readings are the same as this morning and none of the other fish are acting wierd. both of the knifes weren't showing any signs of sickness or anything of that nature. does anyone have an idea as to why they might have died?

Hey Stephens, what kind of test kit are you using? I have a feeling the ammonia test is not accurate due to the fact that your tank is not cycled. There's no way a 25% change would have brought ammo down to 0 in a tank that is cycling with fish.

How long has the tank been set up? How many and what type of fish are still in there? How big is the tank? Are you using a dechlorinator like Prime during your pwc's?

stephens0813 said:
I've had the tank for a little over amonth now though. i thought that i was cycled :/

what would the parameters look like on a cycled tank. i was told 0's on everything (by lfs clerk). is this not right?

A cycled tank will have 0 ammo, 0 nitrItes but will definitely have nitrAtes unless your tank is EXTREMELY heavily planted. Lesson number 1, and the most important...whatever the lfs says, do the opposite.

Hey Stephens, what kind of test kit are you using? I have a feeling the ammonia test is not accurate due to the fact that your tank is not cycled. There's no way a 25% change would have brought ammo down to 0 in a tank that is cycling with fish.

How long has the tank been set up? How many and what type of fish are still in there? How big is the tank? Are you using a dechlorinator like Prime during your pwc's?

I have 3 quater size tiger barbs and 5 dime size of the same. two rainbowsharks about 3" each a rubberlip pleco and a peacock eel at 6"

it is a 26 gallon bowfront

yes i am i have tetra aquasafe plus

A cycled tank will have 0 ammo, 0 nitrItes but will definitely have nitrAtes unless your tank is EXTREMELY heavily planted. Lesson number 1, and the most important...whatever the lfs says, do the opposite.

this is truly a lesson learned...

stephens0813 said:
I have 3 quater size tiger barbs and 5 dime size of the same. two rainbowsharks about 3" each a rubberlip pleco and a peacock eel at 6"

it is a 26 gallon bowfront

yes i am i have tetra aquasafe plus

We'll deal with overstocking / incompatibility issues once we get whatever's going on under control. I'd have to research how big a few of those get, but just up front you can't have 2 rainbow sharks in the same tank.

That being said, something is wrong with your test kit, are you using strips or liquid? There is no way you will have a 0 ammonia reading in an uncycled tank that is stocked that heavily. Which test kit are you using?

Here's the deal, something is up with the test kit...are you using both the #1 and #2 solution bottles? Are you shaking them up real good? Thing is, a uncycled tank with that many fish will ABSOLUTELY have ammo...lots of it.

The lack of ammo and nitrItes would normally indicate a cycled tank, but the fact that there's no nitrAtes proves its not cycled. Lots of plants can potentially reduce the nitrAtes, but you'd basically have to have a forest in there to make them zero :). I'd bet my last nickel one of the tests, either ammo or nitrAtes is not testing correctly. How old is the test kit? And please...read the instructions really close and test again. It's so common for people to not shake long enough, not add both bottles, etc... Accurate results will help us get this thing knocked out...cause it's simply impossible to have all 0's if the tank has been up that long.

I read an instruction and then do it i am pretty sure that i am doing it correctly and i just got it a few days ago after it was recommended because i was using strips

Ok i will test it tonight after i get the kids down and post my results asap

in the mean time is there an article i can read on cycling with fish? i know that one of my lfs doesnt take fish cause they have a sign on their window but i'm unsure of the other but would like to be prepared for the worst case

Here's a great link for doing a fish-in cycle-
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

And if you can find a temporary home for your swimmers, here's a fantastic article to walk you through fishless cycling-
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I'm very happy you're considering finding another home for the fish you have now. Fishless cycling is a fast, efficient and humane way to prepare your tank to support the wast your fish produce. Although you can cycle the traditional way, the majority of the fish will either be killed or permanently damaged by surviving the cycle. High ammonia is always a source of cycling, and even moderate levels of ammonia burn the gills of fish and leave them scarred.

Also, there are some fish in there that can't coexist together. 2 rainbow sharks will immediately start attacking each other to the death as soon as they get a little larger... I also don't think Black Ghost Knives can coexist.

Let me know when you retest, and I think it's great you're here asking questions.

Here's a great link for doing a fish-in cycle-
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

And if you can find a temporary home for your swimmers, here's a fantastic article to walk you through fishless cycling-
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I'm very happy you're considering finding another home for the fish you have now. Fishless cycling is a fast, efficient and humane way to prepare your tank to support the wast your fish produce. Although you can cycle the traditional way, the majority of the fish will either be killed or permanently damaged by surviving the cycle. High ammonia is always a source of cycling, and even moderate levels of ammonia burn the gills of fish and leave them scarred.

Also, there are some fish in there that can't coexist together. 2 rainbow sharks will immediately start attacking each other to the death as soon as they get a little larger... I also don't think Black Ghost Knives can coexist.

Let me know when you retest, and I think it's great you're here asking questions.

Ok thanks i will read up on both of those articles immediately. Thank you for being supportive also. It's nice to know that even though i messed up no one is getting on my back. I will definately check with my lfs in the morning.

I have heard that getting some substrate or piece of filter media can help speed up my cycle. is this true?

Yes, adding things from an existing aquarium is called "seeding" your tank. It basically introduces some of the beneficial bacteria into your tank to help handle the waste and high levels of dangerous toxins that are present during the process. The best sources are filter media, like cartridges or mesh sponges, although even a handful of gravel will help some. Take everything you can get, as long as the tank you get it from is healthy and established.

We on this site never get mad at the people in your situation, we get mad at the idiot at the lfs who sold you the fish without asking questions and sent them off to have a poor quality of life. This experience will help you have happy, healthy aquariums in the future.

Readings are as follows:
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm (it was hard to pick between the two but it's definately between those two)

Ok i just tested my tank and feel so stupid... i must have been reading the nitrite test instructions when i tested for nitrate earlier because when i read it this time it was completely new to me. so this means a couple of things if i'm following everything. my tank is cycled (which is a relief), i just messed up my tests earlier the bad news i'm facing now is i have no reason as to why my knifes died. could it be due to me being overstocked?

Once again i feel like a total newb lol but i'm glad that i messed up my test and not my tank...

stephens0813 said:
Readings are as follows:
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm (it was hard to pick between the two but it's definately between those two)

Ok i just tested my tank and feel so stupid... i must have been reading the nitrite test instructions when i tested for nitrate earlier because when i read it this time it was completely new to me. so this means a couple of things if i'm following everything. my tank is cycled (which is a relief), i just messed up my tests earlier the bad news i'm facing now is i have no reason as to why my knifes died. could it be due to me being overstocked?

Once again i feel like a total newb lol but i'm glad that i messed up my test and not my tank...

Hmmm... odd. Did you just replace a filter or add new fish? The fact that you have 0 nitrItes and that there are nitrAtes seems to say your tank is cycled. The fact that the ammonia level is at .5 raises my eyebrow. If you just changed out a filter pad or added new fish that could explain the ammo, as you are having a mini-cycle. Any changes recently?

Hmmm... odd. Did you just replace a filter or add new fish? The fact that you have 0 nitrItes and that there are nitrAtes seems to say your tank is cycled. The fact that the ammonia level is at .5 raises my eyebrow. If you just changed out a filter pad or added new fish that could explain the ammo, as you are having a mini-cycle. Any changes recently?

Yes i just added my 5 dime sized tiger barbs and i added my old 10 gallon filter to the tank so i have a topfin 20 and an aqueon 55 running on it since i have alot of fish in it i thought that would be a good idea... (is it?) lol

Back
Top Bottom