Help, 2 tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Confusedfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 4 gallon Betta Tank. It has a heater and a bubble stone. Just 1 Betta. I have been doing 50% water changes every 3 days. I am newer to fish. I was thinking about getting a filter for the tank. But afraid it would mess up the water conditions. Thinking about putting an African Dwarf frog, snail, and Ghost shrimp in this tank with the Betta. What advice do you have?

I had a horrible experience with my son's other Betta didn't read enough. I had a pleco and a different Betta in this same tank. I didn't realize how big Plecos get. The Betta seamed fine until I got a filter for the tank. Had him for 4 months. He passed and my son was so upset. I felt horrible. Gave the Pleco to a neighbor who has a huge established tank.

Tank 2. I know I'm gonna take some heat on. 20 gallon tank still cycling. My son got this tank for Christmas. My parents got him 12 feeder gold fish for christmas. They are all tiny goldfish. I'm doing 50 percent water changes every 2 days. There somehow manages to be 15 gold fish in this tank. Will they be fine until they get bigger? My son is already attatched. They seem to have plenty of room at the size they are.

Last edited:
No the gf will not be ok in a 10g. Might want to do 75% twice a day on that 10g with that kind of bioload. You have to keep in mind that the 1 inch per gallon rule doesn't apply to most fish and isn't a rule but a suggestion. With goldfish of any kind its more like 2-3 gallons per inch of adult fish which is 10 inches that comes out to a 300g tank. You might be able to support 1 or 2 on a temporary basis but 15 is an insanely high number. Basically only feed every other day and very sparingly. Rehome most of them asap.
Yes get a filter for the betta just make sure it is rated specifically for a small tank and that you can adjust the flow rate betta's don't like a high flow and they will not ruin your water parameters rather they will improve it. Betta's also like it warm get him a heater. I can't answer about the frog.
Also get an api master test kit skip the strips. Ammo above .25ppm means change the water.

Thanks I will rehome them asap. Just not sure where to take them considering they were sold as feeder fish. How many would be ok in a 20 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom