help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wozzer28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
how do i get rid of smelly water i got trpical fish 4 days ago now the tank is starting to smell abit

take out half of the water and replace it with new water/ do a 25 % water change weekly. also clean the gravel weekly

wozzer28 said:
how do i get rid of smelly water i got trpical fish 4 days ago now the tank is starting to smell abit

What kind of a smell? Mine have a smell but its not strong or bad. How big is your tank? I do 50% weekly water changes on all of my tanks & thats actually the only time I'll smell anything. Are you maybe over feeding?

needing help with smelly water

yes overfeeding will definately make you water smell in a hurry and new fish don't eat well at first until the acclimate and settle in to their new home
Judy

What type of filtration do you have? Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? If not, ammonia is likely contributing to the odor. You need to test your water daily and do water changes anytime you see the toxin levels hit .25ppm or higher. This may mean daily or multiple daily water changes. Please read the link below for more info & ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

hi

What kind of a smell? Mine have a smell but its not strong or bad. How big is your tank? I do 50% weekly water changes on all of my tanks & thats actually the only time I'll smell anything. Are you maybe over feeding?

hi shell thanks for the reply i carnt relly make out what the smell is im pritty new to this my tank is a 80ltr i was told to do 3rd water change u think it would be better to do half water change a week?

wozzer28 said:
hi shell thanks for the reply i carnt relly make out what the smell is im pritty new to this my tank is a 80ltr i was told to do 3rd water change u think it would be better to do half water change a week?

Are you doing really good vacuuming when you do a water change? If you're not getting the gunk up well that may contribute to a smell. The size of the water change depends a lot on your stocking & tank size, plus I know from weekly water tests what my levels are & I know I need to do the larger water change.

If the tank is not cycled yet and you have only had fish four days, you need to be doing much more frequent water changes. Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Please read the link I posted for you above & ask any questions you may have!

If the tank is not cycled yet and you have only had fish four days, you need to be doing much more frequent water changes. Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Please read the link I posted for you above & ask any questions you may have!

i cycled the water for a gd 10 days before putting the fish before i put them in i did take a 3rd of the water out freshen the water the fish seem pritty well i given it a gd vacume ill go out tomorrow an get a kit test thanks guys

what type of substrate do you have? if its a sand bottom tank and its too deep it could be gasses building up. try stiring up the sand a little

wozzer28 said:
i cycled the water for a gd 10 days before putting the fish before i put them in i did take a 3rd of the water out freshen the water the fish seem pritty well i given it a gd vacume ill go out tomorrow an get a kit test thanks guys

Did you add any ammonia? Did you have seeded material? Tanks don't cycle without an ammonia source & are not cycled in 10 days without more than just setting up & running the filter & even then it's rare.

hi

Did you add any ammonia? Did you have seeded material? Tanks don't cycle without an ammonia source & are not cycled in 10 days without more than just setting up & running the filter & even then it's rare.

seeded material?? ammonia source do u mean a water treatment if so ive been useing bioactive tapsafe it protects the fish from toxic chlorine an metals. etc an its a aloe vera a protective healing coating for the skin and gills i took a sample of water to my local aqurium to day an it tested fine. think ill give a 50% water change today see how i get on with tha 1 more question i was told its a gd a gd idea to collect rain water every time i do a change fill it up with tha. they said it sofens the water an its better for the fish is tha true??:fish2:

wozzer28 said:
seeded material?? ammonia source do u mean a water treatment if so ive been useing bioactive tapsafe it protects the fish from toxic chlorine an metals. etc an its a aloe vera a protective healing coating for the skin and gills i took a sample of water to my local aqurium to day an it tested fine. think ill give a 50% water change today see how i get on with tha 1 more question i was told its a gd a gd idea to collect rain water every time i do a change fill it up with tha. they said it sofens the water an its better for the fish is tha true??:fish2:

Seeded material is filter media, substrate, decorations, plants from an established tank. It'll have the BB on it & help your tank develop it. Water treatment & bacteria boosters are not an ammonia source. When you have your water tested do they use a liquid or strip test? Strip tests are not accurate. I would get the exact #'s for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph instead of them saying its fine. If you don't add ammonia your BB won't establish & when you add fish you'll end up doing a fish IN cycle. to properly cycle a tank can take up to 8 wks. As far as rain water I can't answer that, I do know that most fish adjust to the Ph in your tap so,there's typically no need to worry about it. My water is very hard & so far I've had no issues with my fish; Bettas, snails, & CAE's.

your tank is not cycled if it has only been 10 days and you haven't added any seeding material. Seeding material could be a few sponges or some used gravel from an established tank that has been running for a while. You need to go get yourself a test kit so you can test your water on a daily basis. If the tank isn't cycled the filter isn't able to convert the ammonia(fish pee)----> to nitrites-----> to nitrates

the water conditioner you mentioned takes out the chlorine and metals from the tap water.

do daily or even twice daily water changes, until you get your own test kit to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrites in the water.

Seeded material is filter media, substrate, decorations, plants from an established tank. It'll have the BB on it & help your tank develop it. Water treatment & bacteria boosters are not an ammonia source. When you have your water tested do they use a liquid or strip test? Strip tests are not accurate. I would get the exact #'s for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph instead of them saying its fine. If you don't add ammonia your BB won't establish & when you add fish you'll end up doing a fish IN cycle. to properly cycle a tank can take up to 8 wks. As far as rain water I can't answer that, I do know that most fish adjust to the Ph in your tap so,there's typically no need to worry about it. My water is very hard & so far I've had no issues with my fish; Bettas, snails, & CAE's.

beat me to it lol...but he has fish already in the tank so he needs to be doing daily or twice daily water changes until the tank has cycled.

Quest84 said:
beat me to it lol...but he has fish already in the tank so he needs to be doing daily or twice daily water changes until the tank has cycled.

LOL. When I did fish in my test results had me doing water changes about every 3 days but each tank is different. :)

yup your right each tank is different, and he doesn't have any way to test his water at the moment. also depends on how many fish he put in the tank

Back
Top Bottom