HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I just did a WC in my 55 gallon. When I went to shake out the filter in the dirty water, it just fell apart on me. I did have two new filters so I had to put in a new one where the old one fell apart( i had to throw it away), and then had to put another one in the other side. In the other side I did put the old filter( its falling apart too) behind it so I have some good bacteria in it. But the water flow in that side has gone down, is it ok?????? I will be testing the water in about an hour but I'm concerned about the bacteria levels, I don't want to be re cycling the tank if this is whats going to happen. Please Help!!!!!!! Oh and it is a TopFin 60 system

You'll be fine. Unless its heavily stocked I doubt you'll see any spikes or anything.

Can I just take out the old filter to get the water flow back to where it should be??? I have heard to use the old filter in it to help build up bacteria in the new filters, but for how long should I do this?

I would leave the old filter in for a few days then remove it. Whats your stock list like?

I would leave the old filter in for a few days then remove it. Whats your stock list like?
55 gallon tank with three 3" Balas, four 3 spot Gouramis 1.75", six Giant Danios 2", two Striped Raphael catfish, and eight Danio fry about 3/4"

When I've had to change my filter pad, I rinse the new one in old tank water 1st & so far I've not had any mini cycles or at least nothing that registered. I will test my water for the next 7 days to be sure.

Duh I should have done that, just rinsed it in tap water. Oh well too late for the right way. I will be keeping a careful eye on the levels all week. Thanks for the info

So the numbers are just right. 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 Ammonia, Ph7.2. Just wondering if my tank will go into a mini cycle with the new filter's in it.

vaquero said:
So the numbers are just right. 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 0 Ammonia, Ph7.2. Just wondering if my tank will go into a mini cycle with the new filter's in it.

It's always possible that's why I keep a close eye on it for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom