Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aqadvisor says I'm 99% stocked. I have 9 platy fry in another tank, that I was going to add to this one. I guess they will be finding new homes now.

Have you tested your water supply? If your contiannlly getting very high Nitrates after a pwc that could be the cause. Maybe you could try a Nitrate removal sponge? Or maybe start doing your pwc's using RO and tap water to bring the readings down.

Have you tested your water supply? If your contiannlly getting very high Nitrates after a pwc that could be the cause. Maybe you could try a Nitrate removal sponge? Or maybe start doing your pwc's using RO and tap water to bring the readings down.

Never heard of a nitrate removal sponge...where can I get one? What is RO?

Forgot to add it a 29 gallon, with 6 adult platies, two blue gouramis, and ACF, and one albino bristle nose pleco. I have a filter pump(HOB) rated for a 55 gallon, temp is 80, and large bubble wand. Oh, and I did the 50% water change on Saturday.

Did I read correctly you have an African clawed frog? Not an african dwarf frog?

She's about 4-5 inches(I'm not good at guessing) maybe more. I am 100% positive she is an ACF.

At that size there is no doubt it's an ACF! I've always read they should be housed without fish because it will eat them. I'm super curious to know how it works for your frog.

At that size there is no doubt it's an ACF! I've always read they should be housed without fish because it will eat them. I'm super curious to know how it works for your frog.

She has never touched one of my fish...except the neon tetra babies I have her to eat. She is very calm. She has even jumped into a breeding net with fry, and not ate one!

She(her name is Boudreaux:after boudreauxs butt paste) eats out of my hand too. She loves being held when my hand is in the water, and likes back runs too! Lol

She has never touched one of my fish...except the neon tetra babies I have her to eat. She is very calm. She has even jumped into a breeding net with fry, and not ate one!

That is interesting. Is your frog playful at all? Not afraid of your hand. And does it swim around when you come near? Or is it a,ways really calm?

what kind of filter do,you use?

That is interesting. Is your frog playful at all? Not afraid of your hand. And does it swim around when you come near? Or is it a,ways really calm?

what kind of filter do,you use?

I have a aqua tech 30-60. She is very playful! She comes right up to me when I put my hand in the water!

Ok guys, my nitrates are at 80ppm...as far as I can tell. I tested twice to be sure, but its kinda hard to read. Is it safe to do a wc today? How much? Should I vacuum gravel too, or just change water? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure my tank is healthy!!! Thank you!

Nitrates are down halfway!
Have you been vacuuming the gravel on the other wc's you've been doing lately? 80ppm is a little high, but it's not nearly as bad as 160ppm so I think you could be okay not doing a wc today.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree that you can't do more than a 25% water change. I do 50% weekly and so do plenty of other people. If your tank is toxic, change as much water as you can to keep the fish safe. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a large water change at all. Prevailing wisdom is that the more fresh water the better. If the temp is the same, it won't hurt your fish. The amount of BB that lives in the water itself is almost negligible. It's your filter that matters.

This may sound odd, but did you shake the nitrate test bottle #2 really well? And the test tube after you cap it? The API kit is a little strange in this, but failing to really (REALLY) shake that bottle will give you off readings. Also make sure you're comparing the color in bright, white light against a white background. I add an index card behind the test tube next to the test column; the little gap between the columns isn't wide enough, IMO. The nitrate colors are very close to each other and can be hard to judge.

Finally, don't forget about your ammonia. It should be 0, not .25. IMO, that's more important than your nitrates at this point because it indicates that either your BB aren't doing their job, or your tank's not clean enough (leftover food, fish waste, etc.).

My advice would be to NOT change any of the media in your filter except your carbon. Carbon usually loses its effectiveness in about 4 weeks. (In the long-term, look into getting re-fillable bags, it's much cheaper. Or you can take your carbon out, clean it, and bake it. That's the only way to re-use it.) The carbon doesn't actually affect your water chemistry in the way you need. Lots of people don't use it at all. I use it for greater water clarity and because my water smells without it (it's very hard, alkaline water).

The only important BB you need to worry about is in your filter and taking any away right now would be a very bad idea. While there is some BB in your gravel or on your plants, the only stuff that matters in any significant way is in your filter. I'm not sure what kind of media you have, but you probably have a sponge of some sort and maybe bio-beads or ceramic rings. These should be cleaned, not changed. And generally you clean only one at a time (if you have more than one). I think someone has already mentioned to clean it in tank water.

Here's what I would do:

- Condition (with Prime) and test your tap.
- Test your tank. Be sure to shake Nitrate #2 AND your test tube really, really, really well.
- Do a 25%-30% wc. Make sure the temp is the same. I recommend an instant-read digital thermometer. Meat thermometers at the grocery store are cheap and accurate. You can set the temp right out of the tap.
- Wait 24 hours.
- Test your water again.

There really should be a change in both ammonia and nitrate readings at that point. If not, it's possible that your tank is going through a mini-cycle for some reason. If that's the case, the best choice is small water changes every day until the numbers are right.

All that said, these are my opinions. I think I am fairly well-educated on this subject, but feel free to throw it out the window if you like. ;)

Back
Top Bottom