Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonlady317

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a nifty little fish from a *cough* rather inexpensive, inexperienced store. He's beautiful, but the woman who sold him to me had very little info about him. She called him a "chocolate knife" but couldn't remember his other common name. He's freshwater, and likes bloodworms. Can anyone help me figure out what this little beauty is?

He's a dark chocolate brown color with a very thin yellow/gold stripe from mouth to tail. He's got no dorsal fin, and his tail comes to a little tiny spade (kind of like a little devil). He's got very plain pectoral fins, and there's one very looooooong fin from just behind his pectorals to his tail. He's not a very flowy, showy fish, but he's about 4 1/2" long. He likes to hide under stuff, and he's very good at swimming backwards.

Any thoughts? I'm a biologist, so its bugging me to no end that I can't find 1) his scientific name, and 2) any other pertinent care information!

you can either post here, or email me at dragon_lady_317@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!!

Is there any way you could post a photo of your fish?

A search on google for choclate knife turned up nothing. Well there was one page that did talk about it in the form of a fish but alas that site was down.

If it does belong to the knife family then it should have "Notopterus" in the scientific name. Here is a link to google image search of some common knife fish.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Notopterus+&btnG=Google+Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Back
Top Bottom