Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

its_kay_10

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10g tank with 4 danios (used to be 5 but one died) and I just got a test kit today from a friend and don't understand the results. Some ammonia, no nitrites some nitrates. Could it be from overfeeding? We've had the tank set up almost a month. First time testing. Just realized I had the saltwater ammonia card in the pic, I started putting them away before I took the pic and the color was in between the .25 and .5

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442292007504.jpg
    1442292007504.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 68
If the tank was cycled originally then I'd be pointing the finger at something decaying in the tank. Could be excess food, a missing fish, or just dying plant material.

Caleb

Thanks I'll feed them less, I did a PWC yesterday, not sure if the tank fully cycled or not. I have no live plants, and we got the dead fish out as soon as we noticed it. I was doing a 50% PWC everyday for a while and was told it might be too much so I stared doing a 25% PWC everyday but missed today we were gone all day today.

Doing 50% changes won't harm anything as long as you condition it. Keep up with the ammoina test and water changes and soon the tank will fully cycle.
Ammoina(toxic in high pH above 7, fish in cycle goal is 0.25ppm)> nitrite(always toxic)> nitrate(safe for fish below 40ppm)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doing 50% changes won't harm anything as long as you condition it. Keep up with the ammoina test and water changes and soon the tank will fully cycle.
Ammoina(toxic in high pH above 7, fish in cycle goal is 0.25ppm)> nitrite(always toxic)> nitrate(safe for fish below 40ppm)

Thanks! I'll do another change and test this afternoon when my daughter is at school.

Thanks! I'll do another change and test this afternoon when my daughter is at school.

Can you test before the change for just ammonia , then like half hour after the water change. That will help figure out a good ammoina range.

Can you test before the change for just ammonia , then like half hour after the water change. That will help figure out a good ammoina range.

Yup, she goes to school in about 4 hours. I will do it then and post. :)

30 minutes before

Attachments

• 1442345677654.jpg
    1442345677654.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 42
Could this be my problem? How can I fix it? I tried cleaning it with the gravel vac but obviously it didn't help much. It's a tetra whisper 2-10i I think.

Attachments

• 1442348003891.jpg
    1442348003891.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 40
30 minutes after 25% change

Attachments

• 1442349747578.jpg
    1442349747578.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 43
Filters just brown after a while. Unless the pad is falling apart or 65 layers of gunk on it then it's fine.

Did you get the results from the tap?

Caleb

Filters just brown after a while. Unless the pad is falling apart or 65 layers of gunk on it then it's fine.

Caleb

Okay that's good to know. And no but I could get them if its needed. That's 30 minutes in the tank with conditioner.

Caleb

This is the result from the tap so I have no idea what's going on.

Attachments

• 1442354138263.jpg
    1442354138263.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 25
The tank might not have finished cycling yet.

I'd keep up with water changes and testing. If the ammonia goes away and doesn't return then yes it could just be over feeding. Typically it takes 4-6 weeks to complete a cycle from scratch.

Caleb

The tank might not have finished cycling yet.

I'd keep up with water changes and testing. If the ammonia goes away and doesn't return then yes it could just be over feeding. Typically it takes 4-6 weeks to complete a cycle from scratch.

Caleb

Thanks, we've only have the fish in for about 2 weeks so that could be it.

Thanks, we've only have the fish in for about 2 weeks so that could be it.

If you can't wait, get Tetra safe start. It will help with beneficial bacteria.

If you can't wait, get Tetra safe start. It will help with beneficial bacteria.

I'm actually okay waiting and doing water changes. I just couldn't understand the results yesterday. It seems like we've had the fish longer than we have so it never occurred to me that it didn't finish cycling.

Back
Top Bottom