Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I used Oxiver to clean my tank, filter, and decor, and was under the impression that the only ingredient was hydrogen peroxide, which in his product breaks down into oxygen and water. I soaked everything and scrubbed it too. Afterwards I rinsed it and left it to dry.
Then I wondered if I should be worried about any other ingredients in the cleaner. I looked everywhere for a list of ingredients and couldn't find it. A reputable zookeeper gave it to me saying it'd be fine for the tank so long as I rinsed it well (long story), so I figured it'd be fine.
When I did find the ingredients list, I'd already cleaned the tank. It says:
"The Acelerated Hydrogen Peroxide in Oxivir is composed of Hydrogen Peroxide, chelating agents, surface acting agents (surfactants), and wetting agents. These ingredients bind the metal content and soften the water whilst reducing the liquids surface tension so it can spread across or penetrate the solid soiling on the surface more effectively."
How can I make sure this stuff is gone? I have a week until I have to set up the tank. Lots of water rinses? Another vinegar solution scrub/soaking? I don't want to kill the fish!
Please help.

Just rinse really, really well, especially any crannies around tank rim, etc. Anything that's left should be dilute enough to be safe. Once you have the tank running, do good water changes while it cycles, and that should take care of anything you missed.

Back
Top Bottom