Help! Abnormal KH/GH measurments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalvAL5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay before I get to the problem some background on my tank.
I set my 20g tank up with plants and Otos on November 8th. I then added a school of 10 neon tetras on the 24th followed by a German blue ram on the 27th. In that period I've tested my water 3 times with very little fluctuations In the results.
Now onto my problem.
PH-8.2
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-5ppm
GH->20ppm
KH-300ppm
(API liquid test for PH and nitrogen cycle and Nutrafin test for GH and KH)
These are the results of my most recent test (done today). I figured over time my plants would absorb some of the carbonate and lower the KH which would in turn help to lower my high PH but this is not the case. Is there any way for me to naturally lower my KH? Any information or links relating to KH are welcome as this is mostly for research purposes.
Thanks in advance, Calv

If you absolutely have to, you can use RODI water in place of tap water to dilute out the KH. Plants will absorb some carbonates, but not at a rate that's going to be helpful in reducing such a high level.

That being said, if it's not a problem for you, it might not be worth the effort. I've kept essentially the same species of fish in similarly hard water (except much higher GH) for an extended period without much of a problem. If you were wanting to breed them, then you would definitely want to look into RODI water, but just for having them, it may well not be a problem for you.

Yea I figured it wasn't a huge issue but I can't help but be curious. We actually drink RO water from cooler because our well water on our farm has too much fluoride to drink so I'll just use that in my top offs :). Thanks for your help kind sir!

Back
Top Bottom