Help adding fish to 12g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I have a 12 gallon fluval edge tank. I started this tank with one small siamese algae eater and 8 small neon tetras. For a long time everything was fine until eventually the siamese grow up and started chasing the small neons during feeding time. It got to a point where some neons would not even get a chance to eat, and eventually they started dying one by one.

Now I just have the siamese algae eater which is about 3.6 inches. I would like to add more fishes to the tank, but considering that the tank is only 12g, and the siamese is not that small, I need some advice.

Attached is a photo of my tank.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170703_213010.jpg
    20170703_213010.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 74
Hmm, bit tricky - I'd be tempted to see if a store will take that fish. That's a decent size fish.

Maybe some platies or mollies. Tank a bit small maybe. Thought of guppies but anything small or long fins sounds a problem. Perhaps a female betta.

Siamese do get aggressive as they get bigger, and eat less algae so what's the point in having them then. I prefer snails myself. [emoji6]

IMHO, get rid of the algae eater period. Then as was previously mentioned perhaps consider a larger tank.

But since i am not really one to harp on tank size, when in Rome do as the Romans do, which is size your stock to the tank you have and dont overcrowd, or overfeed.

Have a look at franksaquarium.com Frank's Aquarium-Freshwater Crustaceans, Hillstream Fishes, Gobies, and more - he has some nice nano fishes, is a good vendor, and probably has some things that would suit your current setup and most likely some fishes you've never even seen before.

Best of luck. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Siamese Algae eaters are aggressive when they get bigger, you should consider trading it in for some shrimp and snails, or even a few otos.

Say good bye to the mean and nasty Chinese Algae Eater.

Try some nano fish. Like Ember Tetras, or some smaller nano fish like Boraras Brigittae aka Chili Rasbora, B. Merah aka Phoenix, or B. Naevus aka Strawberry.

Nano Cories. Dwarf Cories C. Pygmaeus, Habrosus or Hastatus.

Back
Top Bottom