Help!!! Advice Welcome on taking care of tank during vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, here's my predicament, I have a 70G Eheim bow-front (well established), and in is a breeding net with 7 fancy guppy fry(about one week old) in it. This tank is at my dads house, and my dad will be leiving for a 2 week vacation. I will be at my moms house and we will only be able to go to his house about every 3 days. I tried to plan ahead for this by getting a tank on Craigslist, but I forgot to bring water conditioner. So how this story ends is the 10G not having been cycled fully (2 days)and my dad leiving on Saturday.
Any and all advice would be a great help and might save a fishs' life.
Thank you for reading.

Okay, here's my predicament, I have a 70G Eheim bow-front (well established), and in is a breeding net with 7 fancy guppy fry(about one week old) in it. This tank is at my dads house, and my dad will be leiving for a 2 week vacation. I will be at my moms house and we will only be able to go to his house about every 3 days. I tried to plan ahead for this by getting a tank on Craigslist, but I forgot to bring water conditioner. So how this story ends is the 10G not having been cycled fully (2 days)and my dad leiving on Saturday.
Any and all advice would be a great help and might save a fishs' life.
Thank you for reading.

If I'm not mistaken chlorine & such "disappear" (probably not the right word) after 24hrs if the water is being circulated. Can you get water conditioner now? Can you take filter media/substrate/plants/decorations, anything from the existing 70g? Those things would help in the uncycled 10g. Just some thoughts, hopefully somebody else will respond. Good luck with your fish.

paytertot said:
What's wrong with only going every three days?

+1

Fish don't need to be fed everyday. It is good for their metabolisms to fast every once in a while.

This is nothing to stress over fish can go without food for a good week without harmful effects.

But if you still don't feel comfortable about it I would take the 10g tank back and buy a automatic feeder. Not the best option as they can overfeed but it's an option none the less

I know that regular fish can go a while without eating, but what about thy fry.

It's guppy fry right? I wouldn't worry about every 3 days, guppys almost pop out fry that often anyways haha. (not really but very often)

Even if ya lose 7 fry there will be 17 more to replace them in a few weeks.

Being that they are "nice" fry I would rather not loose them.

I think we've given you all the possible solutions. Automatic feeders aren't that expensive, especially if you take the 10 gal back. Plus its true that even if you lose these fry, it won't take long for you to have gobs more.

Okay thank you all for the infermation you have given me.
Have a nice day!

Yeah I would take the 10 gallon back.....

And just to clarify, chlorine might disappear from the water after a day, but from what I understand it takes weeks for chloramine and other heavy metals to come out. So yes, water conditioner is a must.

bud29 said:
Yeah I would take the 10 gallon back.....

And just to clarify, chlorine might disappear from the water after a day, but from what I understand it takes weeks for chloramine and other heavy metals to come out. So yes, water conditioner is a must.

+1 this is why prime or amquel + is so important.

I went against all odds and did a 3 day cycle. It could not hav gone better, all 14 fish are still alive.

Mayanearth said:
I went against all odds and did a 3 day cycle. It could not hav gone better, all 14 fish are still alive.

What method of cycling did you use? I find it hard to believe that your tank cycled in 3 days. Usually it takes a few weeks.

I took filter media, plants, and a filter cartridge. I let them sit in the tank for three days, and on the third or forth day I added fish. It has been 18 days since then, and not one single fatality.

Back
Top Bottom