Help- angel fish cannot close mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aprilandjeff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. For the past few days our angelfish cannot close his mouth. It doesn’t appear to have anything obstructing. We thought he had ick as there were previous spots on his fins which cleared after treatment. Now he has his mouth wide open and is unable to close or eat.

Is this a virus? Is there anything we can do to save him? I am trying to figure out how to upload a photo.

This is a photo attached of the angel fish mouth.

Attachments

• 9B81ED96-0AB2-4E84-8E30-5BD62DEE32BA.jpg
    9B81ED96-0AB2-4E84-8E30-5BD62DEE32BA.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 43
If you are sure there is nothing stuck up there, maybe tetanus/ lockjaw. Thats something that either fixes itself or doesnt. I have read some people physically manipulating the jaw back into place but that sounds a risky approach to me.

Are there any other angelfish in the tank? Maybe an injury after a bout of liplocking.

Hi, thanks for the reply! No other angel fish . A few Cory’s and danios fish that have been healthy up until today. We added One new baby cory last week and think he may have brought the ick. although the new Cory did not appear to be sick it passed suddenly this morning. We are getting the water tested today.

Back
Top Bottom