Help!!! Bio-spira & ammo-lock????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nessie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Medication killed my bacteria and I am in cycle mode. Ammonia is 2. No nitrites or nitrates. Have been using AP water conditioner & ammo lock during water changes every day. Tetra cycle (-new name for bio-spira freshwater) has been ordered, on the way. Have 8 cichlids in a 55 gal. and one pleco. I have placed old filter material and some gravel from my 30 gal into it. Will the ammo-lock have any effect on the bio-spira???? Tried this same thing last week. I was using Prime-found out the Prime killed the bacteria! Other than water changes. what can I do??? Thanks

If it wasn't the prime, then the ammo-lock?????

Ammo lock doesnt kill bacteria either. You have seeded the tank, now patience will be needed until the bacteria colony builds.

and dont use ammo lock anymore, it will foul up your tank if you keep using it... a properly cycled and well kept maintenenced tank does not need any additives to help with ammonia

I'd also suggest 50% water changes to get the ammonia down to .25 or below.

ammo-lock will stall a cycle. At this point do the changes, treat the water with dechlor, nothing else.

And no, prime and ammo-lock did not kill your bacteria. As you even stated medication did, and it will. That's why when I treat one of our tanks for anything I use half doses for a longer time.

If no ammo-lock, can I use one of the poly-filters to help with the ammonia? I have been doing water changes every day faithfully. I tested afterward and the ammonia was still very high.

if ammonia is that high after a 50% water change, you need to be looking for something dead in the tank or youre not doing a good enough gravel vac

Thankyou so much guys, I am going to get my #&$ busy!!!! I guess I was so upset, was looking for quick fix. I should know prime doesnt kill bacteria. 50% water changes and deep spring cleaning!!!!! Thankyou

just dont clean to good..like removing filter material becaue you can remove bacteria if you do that. As has already been said, do your water changes, and gravel vac to help get your parameters under control until your tank cycles. I also reccomend cutting back feeding to every other day until the tank cycles, be prepared for a nitrite spike after your ammonia spike.

Good Luck!

Hi guys. Ended up putting the fish in my 30 gal, 30 gal fish in a 5 gal and tore the the 55 tank down!!!! I rinsed the gravel in de-chlor, and everything else too. Put it all back together and it is now cycling with drops of ammonia each day. Even after all those huge water changes, and gravel cleaning the ammonia was up to almost 8!!!!!!!!! There was nothing dead in the tank, and the gravel was not that dirty. Those cichlids must have HUGE bladders and poop like elephants!!! Thanks for all your help but with ammonia that high, had to get my babies out of there!!! Nessie

If you are using Nessler type ammonia test kit, the ammo-lock will give you a false positive on ammonia up to 48 hours after adding ammo-lock.

Back
Top Bottom