help buying flower pots for aquascaping!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaglich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,
Quick question. I am planning on buying afew small clay flowerpots for aquascaping, probably from somewhere like Wal-Mart. My question is, do I need to treat them or do anything to them to make sure they dont introduce any bad chemicals, or do I not need to worry??? Thanks a lot!

as long as they are human safe (lead free basically) just clean it off in the sink, do as you will

Thanks for the quick reply. Im not sure I understood the last part of your reply, "as do as you will"? What i got from the answer was that as long as the pot is human safe (lead free) it should be safe to put in the aquarium??? Thanks a lot

i meant "do as you will" i dunno were the extra as came from

clean the pots off, and they should be fine to put in the tank, some people may suggest boiling them, but i think that'd be overkill

Those clay, terra cotta-type pots are aquarium safe, as long as they're new and unused. I'd just rinse 'em and add 'em to the tank.:)

Yep, I agree. I got some clay pots a while back from Lowe's, and just added them right into my tank after rinsing. They never caused any problems for me. You can make some pretty cool caves/hidey holes with them if you break pieces off of them and use a Dremel tool to smooth the edges. I don't have a Dremel, but I've seen it done.

Back
Top Bottom