Help cant get cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bexlt17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:banghead::banghead::bawl:Okay, I'm not so new to fish keeping been doing it for about 2 years now but I have one big boo boo at the moment, in Jan this year I decided to up to a 100ltr tank, transferred everything okay first the filter, then the water and finally the fish everything was running smoothly until the 18th of June when I lost 1/2 of my fish then 24hrs later I lost the 2nd 1/2, loss over with. I cleaned my tank with hot water bought a new filter and started a fishless cycle by adding household Ammonia, so far so good, tank plodding along nicely ammonia dropped to 0ppm and no2 was 0ppm so we added 3 Zebra dannio about 3 weeks ago now, but I have constant ammonia of 2ppm I cannot get rid of it I do add Bactalife every week, I feed them every 2 days, and do a 25% change once a week, I now have only 1 male dannio and still can’t get the ammonia down can anyone help, my no2 is 0ppm and my no3 is 20ppm

Stop adding that bacteria stuff It really doesn't do much, then just stuff the tank with fast growing stem plants to help suck up the extra ammo. Give it a couple weeks and you should be fine.

I agree, stop adding stuff in a bottle. It messes with your cycle.

The best method of reducing ammonia is water changes.

What are your readings today for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Are the numbers above today's readings?

bexlt17 said:
ammo is 2ppm, no2 is 0ppm, no3 is 20ppm, what is the prob with adding good bacteria?

That additive is used to jump start a cycle and it's shotty at best, I wouldn't use or trust it. The only thing I add to my tank besides water is prime conditioner.

1st I'm female and 2nd it is the same weather I add the good bacteria or not the stuff I use is good I have used it for 2years with my smaller tank and have never had any probs

Yeah, what he said. I'm telling you, those additives can bomb your tank! :hide:

Well, it doesn't appear to be working for you now..... I'd dump it. You need some good water changes to get your ammo down.

Bacterlife
activerly reduces ammonia
inhibits new tank syndrome
increases bacteria count of existing filtration
reduces organic sludge and easas filter maintenance
BacterLife will not generate additional ammonia

He/ she you're really going to be that nit picky when someone is trying to help you?

Anyway, when your tank is cycled there is already an established amount of beneficial bacteria in the filter and substrate there is no need to "add more". In my opinion you are cycled simply because you have nitrates, the ammonia you are seeing is most likely a result of over feeding ( when fish food breaks down it produces ammonia) or from adding that bottled stuff. The stuff in the bottle is meant to help jump start a cycle not to be an additive during water changes. If you read the bottle it will most likely say something along those lines.

2ppm of ammo is deadly to fish I would do PWC to keep the levels with in an acceptable rang and not add the bottle stuff with the water change and you should see the ammo drop and stay down.

bexlt17 said:
Bacterlife

Breaks down organic sludge, organics in a fish tank break down into ammonia. It sounds like some sort of bogus fish tank miracle cure to me, if anything it locks ammonia up for 24 hours Lessing its toxicity. I'm telling all you need in a tank is water and conditioner.

ok thanks and i was only saying i was female to put you streight not be picky sorry if i came across like that, and i dont over feed i feed every 2 to 3 days he only gets 4 micro sinking pellets

Bacterlife

These companies should be outlawed...... :banghead:

Unless you are trying to grow out a fish feeding once a day is more than enough and skip a day every so often to let the little guys digestive system catch up. Fishes stomachs are normally roughly the size of their eyeballs they don't need to much.

Do a 75% water change, make sure you clean the substrate and the filter media with old tank water. Do not add anything else to the water other than the water conditioner. Wait about an hr or 2 and test your water again and tells us your parameters.

bexlt17 said:
ok thanks and i was only saying i was female to put you streight not be picky sorry if i came across like that, and i dont over feed i feed every 2 to 3 days he only gets 4 micro sinking pellets

4 pellets for one fish is too much, 1 is enough

the food i feed is micro does no one listen on hear they are as big as a pin head i do know how to feed my fish, i do not over feed my fish i feed my fish every 2 to 3 days and he eats it all
of corse my parameters will drop aftera 75% change

tell you all what i will plod on, doing what i am doing as it is cycled i just have a no1 prob, dont bother as you are all being off with me i was only asking for help and not be spoken to like a child and please read what people put as i have had to repet myself a few times about my feeding of my lone dannio

does no one listen on hear they are as big as a pin head i do know how to feed my fish, i do not over feed my fish i feed my fish every 2 to 3 days and he eats it all
of corse my parameters will drop aftera 75% change

Yep, this will get you LOTS of help..... just saying..... :hide:

tell you all what i will plod on, doing what i am doing as it is cycled i just have a no1 prob, dont bother as you are all being off with me i was only asking for help and not be spoken to like a child and please read what people put as i have had to repet myself a few times about my feeding of my lone dannio

I can't speak for the others who are trying to HELP you, but I'm finding it hard to digest your posts because of all the typos. So yeah, I might miss something you believe you've clearly told us.

Back
Top Bottom