Help! Cloudy water, death, sadness :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got done with the big water change probably ended up being more like 80-85%. The frogs got a little pissy with me. I tried to explain to them that its for their own good. lol

Ok after the big water change we are now at:
pH: 7.2-7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm or maybe just a little over, no where near .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm looked just like what tap water was
Nitrate: Still around 10ppm, maybe a little less

VERY big difference though. Thanks for all the help. I'm done for the night.

Do you guys suggest just doing another 70% when I get home tomorrow? Or check the levels first?

Thanks

mschaffer66 said:
Ok after the big water change we are now at:
pH: 7.2-7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm or maybe just a little over, no where near .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm looked just like what tap water was
Nitrate: Still around 10ppm, maybe a little less

VERY big difference though. Thanks for all the help. I'm done for the night.

Do you guys suggest just doing another 70% when I get home tomorrow? Or check the levels first?

Thanks

Can never do too many water changes imo.

Much better numbers!!! Yes, check your numbers again tommorrow & do a wc if your getting readings of amm/nitrite-you want keep these as close to zero as possible! Good job so far!!!

Regarding the filter media, the pads and stones don't need to replace untilled falling apart, IMO change out charcoal ever 3 months... NEVER change more than one type of media at a time and only change 50% of the media you desided to replace... trust me I've been there = hello recycling tank :/

As of this morning it was still nice and clear. I'll check levels when I get home and do another big water change. Based on the drop after the last large water change I believe that should get me to a level that I can maintain with smaller changes daily until it cycles.

I have learned one lesson now. When I put the new filter on my other aquarium I'm going to let it run in conjunction with the HOBs for awhile until it builds up its own little bacteria colony then pull the HOBs. Does that sound like a good plan? How long should I do that for? I guess I could also just cut the filter material off of a couple of the HOB filters and stuff it in one tray of the canister too...

Good job! Yes, you should run any new filter with the old filters to let them get seeded with beneficial bacteria. The longer you leave them on before moving them, the better! Ideally, they should run for minimum 4-6wks together (longer, the better). And, yes, you can also cut off pieces of the old filter media & stuff it in with the new filter media. Good luck & keep us posted!

I wish i could help you with your frog!! :( Unfortunately, i know nothing about them from a medical standpoint. I hope someone does & can help you out!!!

So that water change yielded:
pH: Holding steady at like 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm maybe just a little above, but the color was pretty darn yellow
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrates: More like 5ppm

I am out of Prime now so that will have to be good for tonight. I'll stop after work tomorrow and get more Prime and probably do another good clean tomorrow.

Your numbers look pretty good!!! Test tommorrow before deciding if your going to do a pwc-you may not have to!

So I just checked my levels.

pH: 7.4 still
Both ammonia and nitrites are less than .25
Nitrate is like 5ish for sure less than 10

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Back
Top Bottom