Help! Cloudy water overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnymoon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank, 3 harlequin rasboras and 3 neon tetras, have had the tank running for 9 months. Yesterday, the water became very cloudy, I changed the fliters and this morning the water is still very cloudy.
I had read about doing a blackout, but as soon as I turned off the tank light, my fish seemed to get very nervous and one jumped right out of the water.
I use a Marina filter with 2 bio-carb cartridge filters. Package says they are carbon filters with ceramitek.

Welcome to AA :)

What color is the water? Is it white, yellow, or green? A white plastic or foam cup will help if you're not quite sure.

What do you mean they got nervous when you turned the tank light off? Is this the case every night when it goes off?

sunnymoon said:
I have a 10 gallon tank, 3 harlequin rasboras and 3 neon tetras, have had the tank running for 9 months. Yesterday, the water became very cloudy, I changed the fliters and this morning the water is still very cloudy.
I had read about doing a blackout, but as soon as I turned off the tank light, my fish seemed to get very nervous and one jumped right out of the water.
I use a Marina filter with 2 bio-carb cartridge filters. Package says they are carbon filters with ceramitek.

Is the cloudiness white, green, ?

If it's white, it's most likely a bacteria bloom and should settle after a couple days of PWC. Carbon won't get rid of a bacteria bloom or green water (algae).

The water seems to be a yellow-ish color.
The fish started swimming around quickly when I shut the light off and one rasbora jumped right out of the water. They seem to do this every time I shut the light off.
The fish do not seem to be bothered by the cloudy water.
I did use one of those automatic slow melting feeder stars two weeks ago and I didn't vacuum the tank after.
There was a white, sticky film on the dirty fliters.

I would just go ahead and do a 50% pwc once a day for a couple days until it clears. Those feeders just foul up your water, that's probably the issue.

Back
Top Bottom