Help! Cloudy Water problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heatherwright88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
b8a60192c9f41e364d35127f4a4dc8f7.jpg
<br /><br />I am new to this I upgraded from a 1 1/2 gallon fish tank to a 10 gallon thinking it would fix my cloudy water issue. I use spring water plus safe start. I have had the 10 gallon for about 3 weeks now with 2 25% water changes and 1 50%. I also quit feeding daily just everyother day. It was cloudy by the next morning after upgrading to the 10 gallon.<br /><br />Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hi there
Is very common for new tanks to go cloudy in the early stages, if I was you I would stop doing water changes and you should see within a week it starting to clear then you can carry on doing water changes.

They have solutions for cloudy water treatment but it's usually best to find the cause & fix it. Over feeding, new set ups, improper filtration are my guess. Is your filters, media adequate for tank size ? Clean your filtration system, feed no more than 2-3 times a day only as much as they will eat within a few min & discard any leftovers. Invest in Prime conditioner. It is the best & only water additive you'll need. Proper water changes & check water regularly.

Thank you for your reply so. My tank has an Aqua-Tech 5-15 gallon filter and My tank consists of 4 glo fish, 1 algae eater, and 1 goldfish looking fish... it looks a littler clearer today but some water has evaporated. I'm not sure if I should just top it off or do another water change being as it is getting clearer. I don't want to mess up the cycle.

How long ago did you do your last water change ? What are your lvls or have you tested them ?

I'm not sure of the type of algae eater you have but if it is a common Pleco which are popular & sold about everywhere cheap, you will need a bigger tank very soon or relocate him. Mines 12.5 inches Was no more than a couple inches long when we bought him :) IMG_1478812993.300584.jpg

I did a water change about 3 days ago. And yes that it the type of algae eater I have. Oh my!

It's hard to say on the water change without knowing your levels. An API freshwater master test kit is sold at any fish/pet store for maybe $15. You'll want to test your levels & that'll help to know how often or how much of a change to do as they can easily be poisoned from ammonia (especially in new tanks), nitrates, & nitrites. IMG_1478813444.313190.jpg. I think without a kit, I'd let it be for another few days. Any time changing or adding water, be sure to use the solution & do smaller changes to keep from throwing ph balance off. More often if needed but strongly suggest a kit. That's where your answer is.

It doesn't sound like your tank has been cycled. May want to read up on some forums or plenty of YouTube videos on it. If your tank isn't cycled, it's very stressful/poisonous on your fish & hate to say it but will prolly end up losing them. Hard to do a cycle with fish in the tank & survive unless they're very hardy. If there's any thing I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. I don't want to sound like a know it all & I know it can be overwhelming when first starting off. I lost a lot of fish unfortunately, now long time fish keeper of multiple tanks. Best of luck to you. Feel free to pm if needed.

Buy some Seachem Prime, it helps detoxify Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Have your water tested, it looks like a bacterial bloom which means your NitrAtes (last part of you cycling) are high and beneficial bacteria is growing.

Back
Top Bottom