HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crack in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I lost almost alll of my water in 55 gal and was forced to put all 25 fish in my 10 gal for now, until tomorrow when i can make it to the pet store in the am and by a new tank. How long do i have or should i say do they have?, i mean i have all rock and fliter media, should i change any of it or keep in so my tank doesn't go through a cycle. I mean i know to keep bio media, but what about the rest of my media in my canister is it safer to keep all media in until i get up and runnning or what do i do?

Anyone have this happen, whats the best way to go and what do i need to stress once i buy a new tank?

Frank

If you keep all the media wet you should be good for 48 hours. Try and keep the gravel wet as well. You will be alright if you switch in a new tank tomorrow. How did it crack? Was it on a tank stand?

If you have access to a big CLEAN 20 or 30 gal storage tub .... you can set that up as your temperory fish tank .... Just be sure the tub has no trace of soap/pesticides, etc and to rinse out well before use. You can run your filters etc. in that & keep as much of your rocks, etc in that as possible.

As for the canister, you need water circulation to keep up the oxygenation. A canister is sealed & if stagnant for a few hours, will becoming anoxic. The bacteria then goes into anaeobic breakdown & start to release toxic stuff (H2S) which will kill fish. To maintain the canister, you can take the media out & keep in a bucket of water - that should be good for a day or 2. Alternatively you can run the canister in a (clean) bucket of water and keep the water circulating.

Ya actually did some more investorgation, it didn't crack, the silocone let go in an area causeing a major leak, and yes it was on a stand. All tropical fish. Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming. Im just hoping they do alright intill tomorrow in my small tank.

Im just hoping they do alright intill tomorrow in my small tank.

Just curious, how would your rescue set-up be any different then how they keep them in the LFS?
The 10 gallon tanks I see have lots more fish then 25 and for several days.

I hope all goes well

we put ours (all of them) and some were 10 inches long in a 10 gallon in an emergency a couple of months ago..50 gal split on seam.. the fish were fine.. we just bought a new tank and switched everything over and no new tank syndrome or anything.. business as usual the next day..

Sorry to hear about your tank, I know hopw frustrating it is to get your tank cracked and rush to save the fishes!
Your media should be ok if you keep it in warmish water for about a day, two max.
I wouldnt strain the media at all, the bacteria in the filter media will escape.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom