HELP! Does my fish have ICH?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devinb96

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, so I ha gotten two GBR's last this past weekend ( so only have had them for them for four days) and I'm not sure if they have ICH. It's only on them two and doesn't seem to be on any other fish in the tank. I'll attach picture and see what you guys think.
I've never had fish that got ICH so I don't know what to do. Please help!

Attachments

• 20150210_203216.jpg
    20150210_203216.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20150210_203201.jpg
    20150210_203201.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 104
It could be but I don't think so. GBRs usually have speckles all over their bodies.

It could be but I don't think so. GBRs usually have speckles all over their bodies.

Thanks, I'm REALLY hoping it's not anything like ICH. I really like my GBR's and hopefully whatever it is may clear up by the end of tomorrow...
It's just weird cause I had done a water change and then three hours later I see that on them...

From what I'm seeing, there are three spots on the top of the dorsal, along with one spot in the black area directly beneath the first couple of dorsal spines, and one spot lower on the tail that could be ich on the side pictured in the top photo, or they could just be light colored spots on the fish, hard to tell from the pic. The other light spots I see could either be colored spots on the fish, or other ich on the other side of the clear parts of the fins. Watch it. If it's just colored spots, probably no issue, if they are like small grains of salt attached to the fish (can't really see in 3d on a computer monitor) then it's probably ich.

From what I'm seeing, there are three spots on the top of the dorsal, along with one spot in the black area directly beneath the first couple of dorsal spines, and one spot lower on the tail that could be ich on the side pictured in the top photo, or they could just be light colored spots on the fish, hard to tell from the pic. The other light spots I see could either be colored spots on the fish, or other ich on the other side of the clear parts of the fins. Watch it. If it's just colored spots, probably no issue, if they are like small grains of salt attached to the fish (can't really see in 3d on a computer monitor) then it's probably ich.

By the way it's looking I'm thinking it's ICH. I know there are things to help get rid of it but is there anything specific I need to do?
I don't have a quarantine tank but I am able to go our and buy something that will be able to get rid of it.
Any suggestions on getting rid of ICH, early stages?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By the way it's looking I'm thinking it's ICH. I know there are things to help get rid of it but is there anything specific I need to do?
I don't have a quarantine tank but I am able to go our and buy something that will be able to get rid of it.
Any suggestions on getting rid of ICH, early stages?

Read this : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks! I'm just glad that I'm catching this very early!
Getting out tomorrow to get some things to treat them.

Sure thing. But honestly it can be treated very effectively with just heat and nothing to buy. If you don't have an airstone, just lower the water level in the tank so the gas exchange can occur.

Sure thing. But honestly it can be treated very effectively with just heat and nothing to buy. If you don't have an airstone, just lower the water level in the tank so the gas exchange can occur.

Oh ok thanks! So if I raise the temp. To about 80 or higher and lower the water level to make more oxygen it can almost cure itself?

86 or higher if you are not using medications. If you are using medications I believe it is 82-85 degrees

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh ok thanks! So if I raise the temp. To about 80 or higher and lower the water level to make more oxygen it can almost cure itself?

Indeed !!! I'd actually shoot 82-84° range. Rams will handle it fine. And not almost but absolutely.

Indeed !!! I'd actually shoot 82-84° range. Rams will handle it fine. And not almost but absolutely.

OK perfect!
I'm just so worried cause my Rams are only a couple months old so I didn't want my new baby Rams to die after just getting them Hahaha.
I didn't want to be in that percent of people who have a hard time with GBR's, so far they don't really seem stressed, all they worry about is territory cause I have two males and a Gourami. But I have plenty have hiding places for them, so maybe while they're sleeping tonight things will be cleared up while they're calm and are resting.

Side note/update*
I set the temperature to about 84 degrees or so and I lowered the water so that there will be more oxygen from the filter output (I don't have an airstone), and it's a good thing that I did a water change earlier.
I do plan on doing a bigger water change tomorrow afternoon and will do one everyday for about a week.
*hopefully this clears things up and my fish will be back to normal!!
Thanks guys!

86 is the point where the parasite can't reproduce. 88.5 and above is the point where the parasite actually dies. When I treat for ich I raise it to 86 for a few days, then bump it up to 90 for two days, then bring it back down to 86 for the remaining week and a half or so just to be certain.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

86 is the point where the parasite can't reproduce. 88.5 and above is the point where the parasite actually dies. When I treat for ich I raise it to 86 for a few days, then bump it up to 90 for two days, then bring it back down to 86 for the remaining week and a half or so just to be certain.

The thing is is that I can't put the temperature that high because I have gold dojo loaches...
Unless you think they will be able to handle that.
I personally think that they can handle a little bit higher temperatures then what is generally recommend,theyre very hardy fish with my experiences with them.

They'll be fine since it's just temporary. As long as you increase the temperature gradually. Like one degree every hour.

They'll be fine since it's just temporary. As long as you increase the temperature gradually. Like one degree every hour.

OK so here's an update.
I went and bought some API Liquid Super Ick Cure and added 20ml, even though it says 5ml/gallon I only put 20mls I have two gold dojo loaches.

So after a day and a half of keeping the tank at 84° I hadn't really seen much change. But after putting the Ick Cure in last night they seemed a little better this morning.

How long do you think it will take for the Ick to go away at this rate? (if I keep up with the procedures, dosing, and temperature range.)

This maybe your problem GBR need to be 80-82 constantly. Treat with heat by raising to 88 degrees.

OK so here's an update.
I went and bought some API Liquid Super Ick Cure and added 20ml, even though it says 5ml/gallon I only put 20mls I have two gold dojo loaches.

So after a day and a half of keeping the tank at 84° I hadn't really seen much change. But after putting the Ick Cure in last night they seemed a little better this morning.

How long do you think it will take for the Ick to go away at this rate? (if I keep up with the procedures, dosing, and temperature range.)

I'm going through the same thing man. Glad to see I'm not alone. I have a dwarf gourami and 2 pairs of cardinal tetras. I raised my temperature to 82 and just added my second dosage of the same medicine you're using. They've been getting better but I also had bad water parameters because of a ammonia spike so any unusual behavior I just kinda thought it was because of that. Through water changes I got the ammonia to 0 then added the second dose after 48 hours(as recommended) I added only half then they recommended cause that stuff is just so powerful looking. Kinda nervous about it but I still trust it. Second dose, I added just a little under recommended but more than the first. The spots seem to be going and I see a little itching but it's not as bad as before. Hope all goes well for you, let me know man. Good luck. We can get through this together and can look back and laugh together lol.

Back
Top Bottom