Help, don't have a QT set up and got fish as gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My brother out of the blue got us two albino sharks from PetSmart today. We don't have a QT set up and afraid to put them into our tank we have set up already. Too many fish have died from ich after having introduced new fish without having them quarentined. We do have about a 12 gallon tank but no heater or filter. Right now the fish are still in the bag sitting in the tank to stay heated but I know I'll need to put them in something else soon. Any suggestions????

set up the qt tank use ur main tank water, and keep changing the water in the qt to keep the temp up. otherwise sit the qt tank inside the main tank with just enough water that it still floats in the main, and enough for ur sharks to swim around in..
otherwise, if u don't want to float glass, get a plastic tub big enough for ur sharks, have it float in ur main to keep the temp, and just aerate it.

That sounds like a really bad situation you have there PBirdsong... 8O
Do you have sponge filters in the 55 that would help seed the 12 gallon?.
If your going to use the 12 gallon as a QT for these fish you might want to test the water in the bag as soon as possible to try and figure out the best acclimation method to use, do you have some prime, if so I would put a tiny bit of it in the bag not even a drop would be nessasary.. and use the drip method..

It sounds like since you have no heater or filter for the 12 gallon you might want to think about getting those in preparation for a hospital tank incase these do cause problems and maybe heat treat the entire tank for ick.. this seems to me to be a last case scenario though.. maybe someone else can think of something better.. :? :?

also, what temp is ur main tank, and what temp is ur tank without a heater..
if its not TOO low, they'll be fine in the qt..
eg. my heater busted, but my tank stayed at 22'C so I waited a couple of weeks to get a new heater and all was fine.

We are heat treating the tank for ich right now so the temp is just above 86'F, we'll go ahead and try the plastic floating tub method. Thanks for all your advice, we'll have to get the other stuff to set up our tank for future use.

You could always just take the fish back to petsmart and ask your brother not to buy you any more fish. :lol: Seems logical.

yeah since petsmart is a chain im sure they'll take them back.

and albino sharks? are they like white red tailed sharls? balas?

They are albino red-finned sharks, kinda creepy looking things but seem really lively. They remind me of those white rabbits with the red eyes. Anyways, we put them in a container with some of our tank water and had it floating in the tank. They seemed really anxious to get out last night but we thought they'd be okay. This morning the container was empty, they had escaped and swimming happily with the rest of our curious little fish this morning.

This morning the container was empty, they had escaped and swimming happily with the rest of our curious little fish this morning.

Not too surprising :lol:
Hope they'll do ok in there!

Back
Top Bottom