Help! Filter has stopped working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichelleM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.
I just cleaned out my tank and the last thing I do is turn the filter back on. Only this time it didn't come back on. The pump seems to be completely dead. No power. I have a Juwel Bioflow filter, big one, with 2 sponges at the bottom, and another compartment above it with another blue sponge, green sponge, black and white cotton sponge at the top. I just replaced the white cotton sponge while cleaning the tank and rinsed the other 3 in a bucket of tank water.

My tank is 180l and has 11 Cardinal tetras, 4 serpae tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis and 3 Corydoras sterbai (one of which is only about 6-8 weeks old and is currently living in a floating hatchery with gravel substrate, plant, and an air stone).

I have 4 live plants in the tank, and two air stones.

I do have a uv filter which I got for when I had a seriously bad green water problem, this is still in the tank but I do not run it all the time.

I can order a replacement pump through Amazon prime and it should be here on Sunday 7th, however previous packages I have had due to arrive through Amazon prime on a Sunday, have not arrived until Monday.

I am just really worried about the good bacteria dying off, and this harming or possibly killing my fish :(

Temp of tank is 26c
pH 6.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

How safe would it be to wait on delivery of this replacement, even if it did not arrive til Monday at the latest? If I do not order it and go to the aquarium shop tomorrow, I would hate to risk them not having the replacement pump that I need. And then I would have to wait longer for delivery.

I don't have any experience with that brand of filter. However, if it has a primer, try priming it. Also, if you have access to the impeller try cleaning it. Maybe even try tapping on the actual motor with a screwdriver to try and dislodge a possible blockage.

Maybe your local shop can sell you a sponge filter to use with an air pump temporarily. You could take out your sponges and media from your dead filter and just place them in your tank with the sponge filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom