Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help!! Filter not working?

I woke up this morning and my tank is quite murky, thereís a lot of particles floating around.

I tested the water and itís normal considering I havenít changed the water in a week (ammonia is 0.25, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 0). I put some water clarifier in a couple hours ago, but itís still not clearing.

The filter is running, but it doesnít look like itís clearing. Itís a 170L tank with a aqua one canister filters. First time this has ever happened, Iíve had this setup for over a year. Does anyone know whatís happening? (You canít really see the murkiness in the photo but thatís my setup)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4840.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	315817

Old 03-29-2020, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just curious, am I correct in counting 8 goldfish and 8 Mollies/Danios/????

Old 03-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
Just curious, am I correct in counting 8 goldfish and 8 Mollies/Danios/????

Yes. I know thatís itís a lot but I do a full clean once a week and everything is fine, Iíve never had any issues eg fish aggression or filter issues before
Old 03-30-2020, 04:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was more thinking of how much room is recommended for each goldfish. I believe its 20g for 1 and 10g for each additional one as they create a lot of waste and can grow surprisingly large. As long as you realize how big a tank you will eventually need for the amount of fish you have it's all good
Old 03-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends on the goldfish actually. Comet goldfish need a pond eventually because they will get huge, something like 16".
Fancies are reccomend at like 30 gallons minimum and then 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. They will get between 4"-12" depending on the species.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you cleaned your canister filter before? I know it's a lot of work and doesn't really need it as often as a HOB but maybe you have something clogging it slightly somewhere.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com