Help finishing 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farnaby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello fellow fish friends!

I recently upgraded from a 15 gallon column to a 29 gallon tank. Right now I have:
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Red Platy
1 Dwarf Gouarmi (powder blue)

So far so good. The DG will chase the BR a bit, but its minimal and the platy is buddy buddy with everyone, especially the BR.

Any suggestions for the remaining stock? A local krib breeder is tempting me with a juvie female, but I can't decide if I want to risk it or not.

According to AqAdvisor, I could do:
6x Panda Cory
1x DG
1x BR
1x Platy
8x Pristella Tetra
8x Rummynose Tetra

Or if I went the single krib, single ram route:
6x Panda Cory (or Otos)
1x DG
1x BR
1x Platy
8x Pristella Tetra
1x Krib
[SIZE=-1]
[SIZE=-1]That said, I'm not sure how much I trust AqAdvisor. For example i[SIZE=-1]n the last scenario, [SIZE=-1]6[SIZE=-1]x Panda, 1x Ram and 1x K[SIZE=-1]rib would be a pretty crowded bottom.

[SIZE=-1]Any thoughts?[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

The first stocking list was my original plan. Would it be too crowded with 16 tetras? Rasboras might be another option, just depends on local availability.

The krib does really tempt me though. Some days I think it's a great idea and sometimes not so much.

Why dont you choose one of the schooling fish and increase their number to say 14? This will increase the security of the sed chosen fish, and a larger school always looks better than two smaller ones (IMO). All the best.

Why dont you choose one of the schooling fish and increase their number to say 14? This will increase the security of the sed chosen fish, and a larger school always looks better than two smaller ones (IMO). All the best.

I may actually do this for my schooling fish. Now to decide what to get....

Hello fellow fish friends!

I recently upgraded from a 15 gallon column to a 29 gallon tank. Right now I have:
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Red Platy
1 Dwarf Gouarmi (powder blue)

So far so good. The DG will chase the BR a bit, but its minimal and the platy is buddy buddy with everyone, especially the BR.

Any suggestions for the remaining stock? A local krib breeder is tempting me with a juvie female, but I can't decide if I want to risk it or not.

According to AqAdvisor, I could do:
6x Panda Cory
1x DG
1x BR
1x Platy
8x Pristella Tetra
8x Rummynose Tetra

Or if I went the single krib, single ram route:
6x Panda Cory (or Otos)
1x DG
1x BR
1x Platy
8x Pristella Tetra
1x Krib

That said, I'm not sure how much I trust AqAdvisor. For example in the last scenario, 6x Panda, 1x Ram and 1x Krib would be a pretty crowded bottom.

Any thoughts?

Some may not agree but I think aqadvisor tends to be a bit conservative. I've never had a krib so I can't comment on that stock. I have a Bolivian ram and love it: as its a bottom dweller as well I might be more inclined to only do 5 cories in the possible (and I say possible because it could or couldn't not happen) event that the ram gets territorial or you have a feisty ram.

Some may not agree but I think aqadvisor tends to be a bit conservative. I've never had a krib so I can't comment on that stock. I have a Bolivian ram and love it: as its a bottom dweller as well I might be more inclined to only do 5 cories in the possible (and I say possible because it could or couldn't not happen) event that the ram gets territorial or you have a feisty ram.

Not a bad idea. I may introduce 3 cories to start, observe and then add the rest if there is no aggression. I could always take the cories back and either get a smaller pleco or otos.

So far my Bolivian is pretty chill. He (or she) loves to swim in the filter current and hang out with the platy. He didn't eat for 11 days when I brought him home so I think it may have humbled him a bit. I'd be more concerned with the krib (if I got her) and the cories.

Right now I have about 10-12 plants with plans to add several more. There's also two flowerpots and a large piece of driftwood. I'm hoping this will help mitigate aggressions between all inhabitants, current and future.

Not a bad idea. I may introduce 3 cories to start, observe and then add the rest if there is no aggression. I could always take the cories back and either get a smaller pleco or otos.

So far my Bolivian is pretty chill. He (or she) loves to swim in the filter current and hang out with the platy. He didn't eat for 11 days when I brought him home so I think it may have humbled him a bit. I'd be more concerned with the krib (if I got her) and the cories.

Right now I have about 10-12 plants with plans to add several more. There's also two flowerpots and a large piece of driftwood. I'm hoping this will help mitigate aggressions between all inhabitants, current and future.

I would just be sure and provide plenty of hiding places for the cories incase something weird was to happen with your ram. When I had 4 rams in 55 (which quickly went down to 2 then 1 because of aggression) the last ram I took back actually went after one of my cories (which of course was why I took it back) out of no where when they had never bothered them before.

Back
Top Bottom