Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help!! Fish death(s)!!

In my 20 gallon aquarium, I had a rummynose tetra casualty. I have 5 others and a small bristlenose pleco inhabiting it, and I have fake plants. My water tests have concluded:
Ph- 7.8
Ammonia- .1-.2 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 5 ppm
I really can't tell what's going on. The remaining 5 rummynosers are lethargic and refusing to eat, although their color is as vibrant as ever. The bristlenoser seems fine. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Temp ok?
Edit- man did I miss those amm readings

Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long have you had the rummies? When was your last water change?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

The temp is 80, and I have had them for about 2 months, but 3 are about 1.5 weeks.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

I do a 10% change weekly, so last Sunday.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You need to get your ammonia down to .25 ppm or lower. Your levels are dangerously high. Do a major water change and check ammonia again. You tank has not cycled. Read this article Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice Once you get your tank cycled you will still need to do weekly water changes.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long have you been up and running? Are you sure the tank is cycled? Sounds like bad parameters!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha me and Wildrose are on the same page...tank def. needs to be cycled!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

Help!! Fish death(s)!!

I did cycle my tank and made sure the ammonia was at 0, but it has risen. And it is below .25 ppm, it's .1-.2. .25-.05= .2
Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

So how many weeks/months has the tank been set up? Something is not right; either its not fully cycled which it can take 4-6 weeks or something has changed to cause this reaction that's why I ask how long you have been set up for? If you have been up and running for a year or two then ya something is seriously wrong!! But if you just started the tank a month or two ago then your tank is not fully cycled! What you are describing sounds like a tank not fully matured or cycled!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or the filter media was fully changed?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What test kit are you using? API Master test kit measures from .25 and up. I am not familiar with one that measures lower. Test stripes are almost always wrong. Do you clean the substrate? Gunk accumulation can cause ammonia spikes. Moving plants and substrate can cause ammonia spikes. Changing the filter instead of cleaning in treated water and keep using causes mini cycles. Adding more fish will cause ammonia to spike until the filter bacteria catches up. Low PH, 6.5 and under can cause the filter bacteria to die off and slow down working.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark21 View Post
So how many weeks/months has the tank been set up? Something is not right; either its not fully cycled which it can take 4-6 weeks or something has changed to cause this reaction that's why I ask how long you have been set up for? If you have been up and running for a year or two then ya something is seriously wrong!! But if you just started the tank a month or two ago then your tank is not fully cycled! What you are describing sounds like a tank not fully matured or cycled!

My tank has been set up for about 3.5 months, so that may be the problem :/ thanks! I had another casualty today, and the others are a bit less lethargic, but I'm still going to do a very thorough cleaning.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
What test kit are you using? API Master test kit measures from .25 and up. I am not familiar with one that measures lower. Test stripes are almost always wrong. Do you clean the substrate? Gunk accumulation can cause ammonia spikes. Moving plants and substrate can cause ammonia spikes. Changing the filter instead of cleaning in treated water and keep using causes mini cycles. Adding more fish will cause ammonia to spike until the filter bacteria catches up. Low PH, 6.5 and under can cause the filter bacteria to die off and slow down working.

I do clean the substrate, but not under the decorations. I used an API test kit, and it wasn't quite 0 or .25, it appeared somewhere in between.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are using Prime, that low of ammonia should not be a problem. It took my first tank many months to get stable. It is a good idea to clean under decorations and rocks every so often. I found tons of gunk under those things. It can cause an ammonia spike. Now my tanks are heavily planted and that takes care of it. Frequent water changes are a must if fish are dying. I have found that high nitrates can harm fish. Mine do not like the nitrates above 20 and start to twitch if they get higher. I also takes spells of rearranging things and that will throw off water perimeters. Check PH too. If it gets low it will affect filter bacteria and fish.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #16

Ok, thanks! I just did a 20% change, and cleaned under the decor. I couldn't believe how much detritus there was under them! I pulled more out in that one water change then in the last 3 combined.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah, it's scary how much crap hides under decore. O_o

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, deaths, eat, fish, fish death

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com