Help!! Fish death(s)!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexFishKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 20 gallon aquarium, I had a rummynose tetra casualty. I have 5 others and a small bristlenose pleco inhabiting it, and I have fake plants. My water tests have concluded:
Ph- 7.8
Ammonia- .1-.2 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 5 ppm
I really can't tell what's going on. The remaining 5 rummynosers are lethargic and refusing to eat, although their color is as vibrant as ever. The bristlenoser seems fine. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

The temp is 80, and I have had them for about 2 months, but 3 are about 1.5 weeks.

How long have you been up and running? Are you sure the tank is cycled? Sounds like bad parameters!

Haha me and Wildrose are on the same page...tank def. needs to be cycled!

I did cycle my tank and made sure the ammonia was at 0, but it has risen. And it is below .25 ppm, it's .1-.2. .25-.05= .2

So how many weeks/months has the tank been set up? Something is not right; either its not fully cycled which it can take 4-6 weeks or something has changed to cause this reaction that's why I ask how long you have been set up for? If you have been up and running for a year or two then ya something is seriously wrong!! But if you just started the tank a month or two ago then your tank is not fully cycled! What you are describing sounds like a tank not fully matured or cycled!

What test kit are you using? API Master test kit measures from .25 and up. I am not familiar with one that measures lower. Test stripes are almost always wrong. Do you clean the substrate? Gunk accumulation can cause ammonia spikes. Moving plants and substrate can cause ammonia spikes. Changing the filter instead of cleaning in treated water and keep using causes mini cycles. Adding more fish will cause ammonia to spike until the filter bacteria catches up. Low PH, 6.5 and under can cause the filter bacteria to die off and slow down working.

So how many weeks/months has the tank been set up? Something is not right; either its not fully cycled which it can take 4-6 weeks or something has changed to cause this reaction that's why I ask how long you have been set up for? If you have been up and running for a year or two then ya something is seriously wrong!! But if you just started the tank a month or two ago then your tank is not fully cycled! What you are describing sounds like a tank not fully matured or cycled!

My tank has been set up for about 3.5 months, so that may be the problem :/ thanks! I had another casualty today, and the others are a bit less lethargic, but I'm still going to do a very thorough cleaning.

What test kit are you using? API Master test kit measures from .25 and up. I am not familiar with one that measures lower. Test stripes are almost always wrong. Do you clean the substrate? Gunk accumulation can cause ammonia spikes. Moving plants and substrate can cause ammonia spikes. Changing the filter instead of cleaning in treated water and keep using causes mini cycles. Adding more fish will cause ammonia to spike until the filter bacteria catches up. Low PH, 6.5 and under can cause the filter bacteria to die off and slow down working.

I do clean the substrate, but not under the decorations. I used an API test kit, and it wasn't quite 0 or .25, it appeared somewhere in between.

If you are using Prime, that low of ammonia should not be a problem. It took my first tank many months to get stable. It is a good idea to clean under decorations and rocks every so often. I found tons of gunk under those things. It can cause an ammonia spike. Now my tanks are heavily planted and that takes care of it. Frequent water changes are a must if fish are dying. I have found that high nitrates can harm fish. Mine do not like the nitrates above 20 and start to twitch if they get higher. I also takes spells of rearranging things and that will throw off water perimeters. Check PH too. If it gets low it will affect filter bacteria and fish.

Ok, thanks! I just did a 20% change, and cleaned under the decor. I couldn't believe how much detritus there was under them! I pulled more out in that one water change then in the last 3 combined.

Back
Top Bottom